newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
I screwed up and blew away the calibration/configuration in my GDU 370 and Config module. It is pretty much a virgin system now. Since the ability to backup the config module was never included, it is start at square one and re-calibrate/configure.

I did make a copy of my capacitance fuel sender config files, when I originally configured the system, but can't remember the Garmin file name where I saved it. Anyone have the name of the two files to assist in searching for them?

Garmin, please give us the ability to make a backup of our system configuration and to use the backup to restore the configuration.

I'll defer to one of the Garmin guys, but just wanted to let you know that you can back up your configuration file, and as far as I know, it's always been possible to do this. Just to clarify: you can back up your fuel calibration data to an SD card, but the entire calibration is backed up to the configuration module itself which is located inside the connector of the PFD.

I looked it up. It's explained on page 31-132 of the G3X Installation manual, rev. W. The directory you are looking for is /Garmin/cal on the SD card that you originally wrote your fuel calibration data to. But you are correct, I don't believe it's possible to back up the data in the configuration module itself.

Last edited:
I'll defer to one of the Garmin guys, but just wanted to let you know that you can back up your configuration file, and as far as I know, it's always been possible to do this. Just to clarify: you can back up your fuel calibration data to an SD card, but the entire calibration is backed up to the configuration module itself which is located inside the connector of the PFD.
I did have everything backed up to the configuration module but either I fat fingered something and cleared the module or I had a fault that cleared the module. I was in config mode touching up the interface to my GTN 650 when I lost everything.

When I first installed my G3X I did save the fuel calibration file to an SD card and I think made a copy on one of my computers. The original SD card is no longer in the rotation; I wanted the file name so I can go searching.

It would be nice if the Configuration Module could be backed up to a file that could be used to resurrect a system. Unfortunately I know that the configuration modules can be erased.

It would be nice if the Configuration Module could be backed up to a file that could be used to resurrect a system. Unfortunately I know that the configuration modules can be erased.

Steve, yes it would, that's a lot of work to lose. Good to know that it's possible to delete it! Hoping to hear from the Garmin folks on whether this will be a future enhancement or if there are others issues that would preclude it. Obviously, the fuel calibration (especially if you do it twice like I did--for ground and flight attitude) is the most time consuming part of it; and at least you can back that part up. Good luck finding your files. :)

I don't run my GDU375 as a "G3X" system, but a couple updates ago I was loading the nav data base and I must have moved to quickly with the pop up boxes that say "YES" or "NO" :mad:

One of those boxes must have said something like system reset "YES"? When I thought it just said the normal upgrade database YES.

Next was a complete reset of all setting as OP wrote.

Once I got my system back to normal I took pictures of every page!

I don't run my GDU375 as a "G3X" system, but a couple updates ago I was loading the nav data base and I must have moved to quickly with the pop up boxes that say "YES" or "NO" :mad:

One of those boxes must have said something like system reset "YES"? When I thought it just said the normal upgrade database YES.

Next was a complete reset of all setting as OP wrote.

Once I got my system back to normal I took pictures of every page!
I can vaguely remember a popup just like you describe; yes I will have screen saves for everything going forward