Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I have always been planning on the TruTrak AP.

I am now working towards getting my engine sensors for the G3X. In carousing the Spruce site for the G3X I see that they have Trio as their default AP choice.

I figure:

a) Someone screwed up when designing their pick boxes
b) Garmin jumped ship from TT and now has Trio
c) Trio is now just another choice for G3X users
d) None of the above and I am missing the entire thing

Could someone enlighten me?

I already have TT brackets installed and I don't want to change to Trio.

:confused: CJ

G3X Autopilot Choices

CJ,

First, thanks for choosing a G3X system!

Both the TruTrak GX Pilot and the Trio Pro Pilot will connect to the G3X system and perform the "integrated autopilot" function.

For either system, you can automatically engage the autopilot by selecting lateral and vertical modes on the G3X PFD.

I rarely even look at (let alone touch) the autopilot in my G3X aircraft since the autopilot control is so integrated with the PFD, but either of these autopilots will also function independent of the G3X should you wish to "push their buttons" and use them that way.

Neither of these autopilots are Garmin products, but both have done a good job developing special software to support integration with G3X.

I hope this answers your question. Please call or email if it does not.

Thanks,
Steve

I rarely even look at (let alone touch) the autopilot in my G3X aircraft since the autopilot control is so integrated with the PFD, but either of these autopilots will also function independent of the G3X should you wish to "push their buttons" and use them that way.

Steve, Thanks for the quick reply!

Cool... glad that TT is still supported!

ALSO, I was leaning towards installing the AP control head just beneath my radio stack and that real estate was rapidly filling up with switches and cable controls. My dilemma was "prioritizing" the arrangement.

With regard to that, It sounds like (based upon your quote) that I could quite easily locate my AP control head on the right hand side of the panel and rarely ever use it? It would free up the middle of my stack area quite a bit!

True statement???

:rolleyes: CJ

AP Control Head Location in Panel

It sounds like (based upon your quote) that I could quite easily locate my AP control head on the right hand side of the panel and rarely ever use it? It would free up the middle of my stack area quite a bit!

True statement???
:rolleyes: CJ

CJ,

Absolutely. Since it will likely be rare to use the AP in standalone mode, you can put it pretty much anywhere in the panel where it can be reached should you need to access it.

One caveat. I am sure you plan on connecting a CWS/Disconnect button on your stick, but if you were to not do this, you would need better access to the control head.

Thanks,
Steve

CJ,

We're plenty happy with the GX Pilot from TT in the RV-3. Haven't flown with the Trio, so I can't compare them, of course. We did tend to use the control head a bit during Phase 1, before we learned all of the mode-switching and control options from the G3X (it is complex because it is capable). It was just quicker to punch up altitude or heading hold on the head, since we have the same one in the RV-8 (hooked to the GRT) when we were learning/testing a new airplane at the same time. So I wouldn't bury it TOO far away....but eventually, you won't touch the head (much) IMHO.

Paul

From day 1 I've been using my dual screen G3X and Pilot GX Autopilot without thinking much at all about needing to touch the Pilot GX control buttons. I have pretty much only controlled the Pilot GX Autopilot with the G3X buttons and the disconnect with the CWS button... :)

Victor

Thanks guys!

Yes, I have the Infinity stick and the CWS button sits directly under my thumb and it is in the best, most intuitive position possible!

I had planned on that as a commonly used function from early on. I am glad that my vision was correct!

I have about an hour finger fiddling the G3X in a friend's -7 and really like it. I can't wait to fly my own.

Can anyone tell me what the new touch screen HMI's from Garmin will do to the G3X platform?

Will we soon see a touch version of our favorite EFIS platform? I know that loose lips sink ships but are there any info leaks regarding an HMI upgrade for the G3X? Seems to me that this would be a natural path for corporate to follow.

:cool: CJ