G3i Ignition

Well Known Member
Been refining my supercharger kit for the Lycoming 4-cyl?s. Lots of trick R&D came together for Dyno runs this weekend, Installed the G3i supercharger kit on the O-360-A4A. Pulls out of this stock carbureted, Lycoming un-corrected, with a density altitude of 7121-ft. Torq/HP was 386ft-lbs/184HP @ 2500 and 368ft-lbs/189HP @ 2700, Sea level correction factor on weather station 1.2273. Corrected Torq/HP 474ft-lbs/226HP @ 2500 and 451ft-lbs/232HP @ 2700.
Feels good to hear and feel the RUMBLE.
2u9r609.jpg
2f0cefb.jpg

Is there an engine in there somewhere??:confused:

2u9r609.jpg

Interesting drive pickoff for the blower-------did you re-bearing the alt? And, what alt is it?

Last edited:
Looks like a Hitachi or Mitsubishi alternator to me. I would guess it's for an industrial application. Did you custom fabricate that flywheel with the pulley for the serpentine drive belt for the alternator? What are your boost parameters?
Charlie

Looks like a Hitachi or Mitsubishi alternator to me. I would guess it's for an industrial application. Did you custom fabricate that flywheel with the pulley for the serpentine drive belt for the alternator? What are your boost parameters?
Charlie

I've seen the newer Cessna with a serpentine belt and alternator set up.

Intercooler?

Looks like fun, how much weight does all of this add?

Fuel burn?

Intercooler?

A guy could always run it at reduced power settings at lower altitudes to make her last but I think with 230 HP at sea level it will be hard to resist using all of this power at least sometimes..................

I wonder how long it will last running 30% more power before there is a catastrophic failure.

Just wondered what happens if the belt fails or the alternator bearing seizes, or the impeller self destructs? is there a supercharger bypass of any description? Not being negative just curious.

Congrats!

Glad to see someone sticking to the fundamental idea in 'experimental!' I'd also be interested in seeing some dyno plots with boost, fuel flow, air/fuel ratio, tq & hp vs rpm. Good luck in future testing.

Intercooler

Looks to be a screw type of blower, and they tend to not have the temp rise like a roots style-----I suspect the intercooler is a non issue.

Plus, notice that it is mounted to the bottom of the oil sump........

G3i Supercharging/ A more Sneak Looky

Here a couple more sneak pic?s on what?s going up on the G3i website soon, with all the details. After I run some testing on fuel injection location, pre-blower fuel nozzles.
I machine the stock flywheel to accept the serpentine belt. Custom fab. on the Mitsu/Delco alternator, machined a new, larger rear bearing support with Morse taper on the shaft. A pulley collet installed on the shaft for different compressor drive ratios. The supercharger kit comes in @ 42lbs, less flywheel and alternator. The high helix screw compressor does have a built in by-pass, which also acts as a MP control. O-yeah, how much MP would you like? 50-60 plus?

wvu4xh.jpg
166kgsm.jpg

mj7fb9.jpg

Last edited:
Listen up!

Hey Fellas:

A few things to keep in mind:
1 MP is King
2 More MP King stuff is available with lower compression, or higher octane.
3 Tom knows what he is talking about
4 Listen up

But, speed costs money - how fast ya want to go?

Generally speaking, HP increases require added fuel flow. Well, MAJOR HP increases, anyway. The blower allows you to maintian 75% power to the flight levels, with nearly SL equivalent fuel flows. At those altitudes, using O2, you'll be seeing the efficiency of King MP; a blower is not a low altitude enhancement unless your compression ratio is low (6 or 7:1). Very cool indeed.

Tom, you are doing some amazing stuff. Congratulations.

Carry on!
Mark

Generally speaking, HP increases require added fuel flow. Well, MAJOR HP increases, anyway. The blower allows you to maintian 75% power to the flight levels, with nearly SL equivalent fuel flows. At those altitudes, using O2, you'll be seeing the efficiency of King MP; a blower is not a low altitude enhancement unless your compression ratio is low (6 or 7:1). Very cool indeed.

Tom, you are doing some amazing stuff. Congratulations.

Carry on!
Mark

Right on Mark,
Forced induction is specific to user end requirements. Example, my needs are that I fly hard Arco out here in Colorado where D-alt is usually 7800 and above at KAPA before I take off, then climbing in the box, and it gets worse. All naturally aspirated engines fall in torq. as elevation increases. Force induction on the 4-cly brings back to the original torq. requirements @ the higher flight alt’s, and can pass a naturally aspirated 6-cyl power at these levels. It all comes down to the amount of available O2 & fuel with a correct cylinder pressure combination.

Last edited: