G3i Ignition

Well Known Member
Russ and I headed out Wednesday morning in his supercharged 7 and made it a little over 400mi S.E. of Denver due to weather. Watched the weather at the Pratt FBO and enjoyed our $300.00 hamburgers. While in Pratt Kamas, Russ and I met another RV?er that has a real clean 6, he has cleaned up a lot of the parasitic drag problems. He running @ 205 miles/hr indicated on a stock 320. Russ has his contact info. Also, I was turn onto another weather web site called HEMS Weather Information, here's the link: http://weather.aero/tools/desktopapps/hemstool. Launch the HEMS Tool software and ck it out.
G3i planned and still is going to offer a Sun-n-Fun discount, which is, 8% off the Series ?1 and Series ?2 system kits through the 15th of April 2011. Contact me for more info.

Thomas S.

While in Pratt Kamas, Russ and I met another RV?er that has a real clean 6, he has cleaned up a lot of the parasitic drag problems. He running @ 205 miles/hr indicated on a stock 320.

Is that even possible? Curiosity piqued...

-jon

Yep...

Is that even possible? Curiosity piqued...

-jon

...our 6A did 202 MPH with a nose gear too! That figure was reached at 7500', WOT, turning near 2800 RPM on a three bladed Catto, optimized for max cruise, with our home-built 0-360 Lyc.

No external antennae but two steps which the -6 probably doesn't have.

Alan Judy in Oklahoma runs over 210 with his -6, with quite a few mods and very small cooling intakes.

Best,

Russ and I headed out Wednesday morning in his supercharged 7 and made it a little over 400mi S.E. of Denver due to weather.

I am glad you did not make it in a timely manner. That (weather issues) may have saved your aircraft along with many others.

The six I have was built carefully by Robbie Attaway for speed. I removed the small main wheels and pants and replaced them with stock since I wanted to be able to operate off grass. I still get 210-212 MPH at 75% power and 8000 feet. If I went back to the speed pants I should gain 3 to 4 more MPH.

George

O-320?

...our 6A did 202 MPH with a nose gear too! That figure was reached at 7500', WOT, turning near 2800 RPM on a three bladed Catto, optimized for max cruise, with our home-built 0-360 Lyc.

The six I have was built carefully by Robbie Attaway for speed. I removed the small main wheels and pants and replaced them with stock since I wanted to be able to operate off grass. I still get 210-212 MPH at 75% power and 8000 feet. If I went back to the speed pants I should gain 3 to 4 more MPH.

Alan Judy's airplane actually runs closer to 220 MPH.
Scroll down for a look at the intakes and air exits:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=11808&highlight=alan+judy&page=13

Aren't these all O-360s, though? The 205 mph figure was for a 'stock O-320'.

Sorry for causing such thread drift for G3i!

-jon

"Indicated" or "True" mph??

Sorry for the thread creep too, but "205 mph INDICATED" doesn't mean a thing to me if an altitude is not given. "205 indicated" at 12,500 MSL is a LOT different than "205 indicated" at 1500 MSL.

Good stuff

Going to use the 3Gi system in the new 7 with Barrett IO390. A neighbor has the system in his Glasair and is very impressed with the performance.

I bought one of the Series 2 system to put on my O-320. I'm not flying yet but after thinking about it for 6 months I decided to go ahead and get one for the potential improved performance. I intended to go with my mags all along and this seemed like a natural progression.

I bought one of the Series 2 system to put on my O-320. I'm not flying yet but after thinking about it for 6 months I decided to go ahead and get one for the potential improved performance. I intended to go with my mags all along and this seemed like a natural progression.

So Mike, why did you select the Series 2?

I've wondered why the Series 2 is $100 more than the Series 1. I would have thought that installing with multiple cases would incur more cost.

I'm also wondering is if there is more potential RF issues with the Series 1 as opposed the Series 2.

bob

So Mike, why did you select the Series 2?

I've wondered why the Series 2 is $100 more than the Series 1. I would have thought that installing with multiple cases would incur more cost.

I'm also wondering is if there is more potential RF issues with the Series 1 as opposed the Series 2.

bob

There are no RF potential difference issues between the two different Series. The reason the Series ?2 runs more than the Series-1, is that the S-2 requires more extensive build time to assemble. Both systems have the same out-put and function exactly the same. Both systems have there own advantages. To point out, the Series-1 does have some advantages over the Series-2
1. $100 dollars less.
2. Location of individual component layout, real-estate friendly.
3. If there was a problem with the MSD amp or the G3i module, easily replaced since its external. Series-2 module would have to be returned to G3i for service.
Bottom line is, everybody that has contacted me about my systems has heard the straight up from me on the pros & concerns (if any) for each of there applications, and if there are any questions on application/ installation/ technical, I?m there personally to assist.

Thomas S.

There are no RF potential difference issues between the two different Both systems have there own advantages. .

Thanks for the talking about the advantages for the Series 1. So what are the advantages for the Series 2?

I'm not bashing either product, just attempting to understand the decision tree as why one might purchase one model over the other.

thanks,

bob

No worries Bob, I did not take it as a bash. Good questions, and you gave me the opportunity to get out some more info. on my systems, and most of all, my high standard on customer and non-customer support ethics.
Me, being a very technical minded person, understanding the function, and then deciding to go with an electronic ignition for your aircraft is an important decision. Just 2 weeks ago, I did an Electronic Ignition presentation for one of the local EAA chapters. I spoke about the, LSE, P-Mag and G3i systems. I also brought along the different ignition systems (right out of the box) with the instructions booklet, install components and hardware. This gave the members a chance to see first hand EI components before installation. The presentations I do are very open and non-bias; they focus on helping with the education on any ignition system.
I enjoy all of it!

Thomas S.

Bob,

I'm still in my building phase and wanted the modules in one box. I have space on my firewall on the engine side under the manifold port but I have decided to put in inside the cockpit hanging under the subpanels and above the rudder pedals. I am going to install it in such away as to be able to remove it by removing four screws. Of course the downside is that I will be laying on my back to remove it but it will be away from heat generated by the engine being inside the cockpit.

I wasn't too worried with having to sent in back in for a repair. I'm sure Thomas has done his homework :)

By the way we met some years back at the Nockolls AeroElectric presentation at the Columbus Airport.

Last edited: