Reflex

Well Known Member
For those of you who used a G26C antenna mounted on your glareshield (close to defrost fans), how did you mount it? Since the wiring comes out of the back of the antenna, it looks "messy". I wish they would have made this device with a BNC connector on the bottom and had a some sort of mounting bracket molded into the unit. The device I'm talking about is pictured below. Would like to get mine mounted today, but haven't come up with a "neat" solution.

Note: Padded glareshield

Thanks,

Fred

GA-26C.jpg

I think you can swivel the wire to come off the bottom? Then use piece of Velcro with a hole cut in the center.

I made a small shelf which attaches to the canopy side rail toward the front of the canopy frame. See attached, highlighted in magenta.

GA26mount.jpg

I just remounted one last week on our RV-3 because I managed to Nick the cable and shorted the center conductor to the shield. Oh well…..

Ours are mounted with hook velcro on the bottom of the antenna, and the entire (small) glareshield is fuzzy velcro. Yes, we directed the cable to exist essentially straight down, and drilled a hole in the glareshield - but not a hole big enough for a BNC - a hole just big enough for the cable. Then we cut the BNC off and bough the right BNC (and the right crisper dies….) to go on the tiny cable….I forget the number right now …. RG-175, or something like that?

More work, but it looks nice!

I just remounted one last week on our RV-3 because I managed to Nick the cable and shorted the center conductor to the shield. Oh well…..

Ours are mounted with hook velcro on the bottom of the antenna, and the entire (small) glareshield is fuzzy velcro. Yes, we directed the cable to exist essentially straight down, and drilled a hole in the glareshield - but not a hole big enough for a BNC - a hole just big enough for the cable. Then we cut the BNC off and bough the right BNC (and the right crisper dies….) to go on the tiny cable….I forget the number right now …. RG-175, or something like that?

More work, but it looks nice!

Paul,

I like your idea and have looked into it a bit. A quick question regarding the dies:

It appears that the cable is RG174 A/U. My guess is that the actual interface is the same, but the portion that goes around the inner conductor and under the braided sheath is likely different and the crimp sleeve is probably smaller than it is for RG-400.

Any idea which dies you used?

Many thanks,

Fred

Last edited:
For those following...I figured it out. Solution below:
  • Connector: Amphenol RF part number 112132 (ordered from Digikey $4.21 ea)
  • Dies (for Pro's Kit Crimper): Eclipse Tools SKU # 300-050 around $17
Fred

Fred
Glad you figured it out - I was at a friend‘s house/shop last week when we did this, and his town had a good old-fashioned electronics parts store where we got the connector. And…..he has a huge assortment of tools with the right die. I’ve got a similar die assortment, but was goign to have to research which ones I used for that crimp when I did it a dozen years ago….looks liek you already did it!

Fred
Thank you for the links Fred. Here is the dimensions dwg from Amphenol.
Is it considered good practice to solder the centre pin instead of crimp?
IMG_0254.jpeg

Thank you for the links Fred. Here is the dimensions dwg from Amphenol.
Is it considered good practice to solder the centre pin instead of crimp?
View attachment 65284
Todd,

Speaking only for myself, I don't solder anything on the airplane....at least not that I can readily recall. I crimped the BNC connectors on all the other antennas, electronics, etc.

Fred

Todd,

Speaking only for myself, I don't solder anything on the airplane....at least not that I can readily recall. I crimped the BNC connectors on all the other antennas, electronics, etc.

Fred
Hey Fred,
After I posted that question I realized I’d need the crimp die anyway to crimp the sleave. Never got around to editing it. I just ordered the crimp die off eBay and BNC connectors from Digikey. Thanks again for sharing the part #s. I really didn’t want to drill a big hole in glare-shield. The only thing I (sorta) soldered, so far, were the shield ground wires for all my Dsub connections. I found, after lots of practice, that tinning the wire ends before putting on solder sleeves made for a much better bond to the shield.
Cheers