Rick6a

Well Known Member
Some years ago, I installed this G-meter. It was originally purchased from Van's. It does not work. In fact, I really don't think it ever worked properly. Now its needles are pretty much frozen in place. Its current price is listed at $265 not including S/H. Is it cost -effective to send this instrument out for repair knowing that a new digital GT-50 can be had for $155-$160?

9h8303.jpg

I am hesitant to go with a GT-50 because I prefer the traditional look of my g-meter and besides, I really don't need any of the additional bells and whistles that come with a GT-50 because my instrumentation already includes assorted clocks, timers, stopwatch functions, etc.

Anybody have real world experience by having this g-meter repaired? Thoughts?

Some years ago, I installed this G-meter. It was originally purchased from Van's. It does not work. In fact, I really don't think it ever worked properly. Now its needles are pretty much frozen in place. Its current price is listed at $265 not including S/H. Is it cost -effective to send this instrument out for repair knowing that a new digital GT-50 can be had for $155-$160?

9h8303.jpg

I am hesitant to go with a GT-50 because I prefer the traditional look of my g-meter and besides, I really don't need any of the additional bells and whistles that come with a GT-50 because my instrumentation already includes assorted clocks, timers, stopwatch functions, etc.

Anybody have real world experience by having this g-meter repaired? Thoughts?

You may already be aware of it but just in case....Is there any chance that the shipping lock is engaged? It is the little knob on the back of the G meter.

You could always buy a used one at half the price.....like the one I have.
But I don't have a GT-50....I think its a Falcon....its at my hanger and I can't remember the exact info.

Glenn Wilkinson
[email protected]

G-meter

Rick6a About 4 years ago I sent my 2 1/4" accel. to Faeth Aircraft in Sacramento CA. They had someone who fixed it for about $80 with no paper work. Since it was for an experimental I didn't see a need for paper work. Has worked fine since then.

Steve

Check with Chuck at Superior Instrument Service, Pontiac, MI. Good work, reasonable prices. One man shop.

Tel 248-666-3450

Jim Butcher
Europa XS

DOH!

You may already be aware of it but just in case....Is there any chance that the shipping lock is engaged? It is the little knob on the back of the G meter.

As I was hunched over, busy unscrewing the instrument from the panel, I did not notice his approach. Suddenly, a familiar voice from over my shoulder said "Watcha doin' Rick?" Slightly startled, I looked up and answered "Hey Joe. I'm removing the G-Meter. It has never worked from day one and a fellow RV builder said there is a lock on the back. I really don't remember a lock and besides it was so long ago." :confused:

As we chatted I finally pulled the G-meter free from its hole of several years and turned the instrument around finding myself taking a good long look. I just shook my head and smiled that familiar smile of humility. :eek: I then passed the instrument into Joe's hands, a resident Cherokee owner and long time flight instructor. "Geez, Joe, would ya look at what I just found." As Joe turned the G-meter over in his hands examining it, he said...."Hey, I didn't know these things had locks." What can I say? Obviously, neither did I.

v5jxfo.jpg

Thank's Scott! A yearly contribution to VAF is nothing compared to the money you just saved me. :D

You know that shipping lock is on there because at a range of only +10/-5 G's, it wouldn't be nearly enough to handle even a portion of what our favorite shipping companies are able to do to a box!?!?! :)

Shipping companies are one of the few things in this world that I know of which regularly defy the known laws of physics when it comes to the ways the find to damage packages!

Cheers,
Stein

PS Rick...don't feel bad - you're not the first and you won't be the last. I've had this phone call more than one "Hey...that new G-meter you shipped me is stuck - I'm mad and I want a new one NOW"! The tone of the discussion usually changes after the shipping lock is disengaged.