nucleus

Well Known Member
Anyone have some good music about planes they care to share? I'm not looking for music for listening to in a airplane but music about airplanes and flying.

A new pal of mine is getting me into playing music.

Hans

Hans,
Give a listen to Dwayne O'Brien's "Song Pilot" CD. Dwayne is not only a musician, but flies a Pitts S2 also. Lots of good music on the CD.

Your Request seems a little conflicted (play but not listen)

A few years ago I bought a CD by The Rudder Brothers called "Country Goes Flying". If you get a copy of that you might find what you are looking for. The songs on it are:

1 - Approach
2 - Three Miles High
3 - DC-3
4 - Relative Wind
5 - She Sets Me Free
6 - Airplane
7 - Don't Look Down
8 - Silver Bird
9 - For Sale
10 - Departure

I went to a Merl Haggard concert here in Fayetteville, Arkansas recently and his opening song started out with "Silver Wings" - I mean to tell you it sent a thrill through me.

There is a song by a performer named Joe Nichols that plays on KBVA occasionally called "If I could Only Fly". It is so moving that I had to go on the station's website to get the information so I could buy it from Amazon. The CD is Joe Nichols "Real Things."

Bob Axsom

One of my favorites...

... AC/DC "Thunderstruck." I used to blast that into the intercom while scorching the Nellis Training Complex at 300 ft AGL 500kts GS in F-4G Wild Weasels. May translate nicely to some of our sportier flying moments.
:cool:

Well...

I know this is not what Hans really wanted but.....

I was flying around local Friday morning and had my Droid connected to the intercom. I was listening to the Droids FM radio and I was on a channel playing Christmas music. Then "Linus & Lucy" from A Charlie Brown Christmas came on. WOW! I couldn't keep my wings level. I didn't have the roll rate to keep up with the tune but I tried and had a blast!

Mark

Simple google searches

found this top 10 airplane song list
10. "Deportee (Plane Wreck At Los Gatos)" - Woody Guthrie
9. "Air Force One" - Godley and Cr?me [taken from their 1988 release Goodbye Blue Sky]
8. "Enola Gay" - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark [taken from their 1980 album Organization]
7. "The Spirit of St. Louis" - British Sea Power [taken from their 2002 single "The Spirit of St. Louis"/"The Lonely"]
6. "ME-262" - Blue Oyster Cult [taken from their 1974 album Secret Treaties]
5. "Bomber" - Motorhead [taken from their 1979 release of the same name]
4. "Leaving On A Jet Plane" - John Denver [taken from his 1969 debut Rhymes and Reasons]
3. "Aces High" - Iron Maiden [taken from their 1984 album Powerslave
2. "Aeroplane" - Bjork [taken from her 1993 major label debut, Debut]
1. "Jet Airliner" - Steve Miller Band [taken from their 1977 album Book of Dreams]

and another site list
Aeroplane ? Bjork
Aeroplane ? Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Aeroplane Flies High ? Smashing Pumpkins
Air Force One ? Godley & Creme
Air Force Ones ? Nelly
Airplane ? Beach Boys
Airplane ? Indigo Girls
Airplane Song (My Airplane) ? Royal Guardsmen
Burning Airlines Give You So Much More ? Brian Eno
Counting Airplanes ? Train
Deportee (Plane Wreck At Los Gatos) ? Woody Guthrie
Free Mexican Air Force ? Peter Rowan
Great Airplane Strike ? Paul Revere & The Raiders
If Love Was A Plane ? Brad Paisley
It?s Gonna Take An Airplane ? Destroyer
Jet ? Paul McCartney & Wings
Jet Airliner ? Steve Miller Band
LA International Airport ? Susan Raye
Leaving On A Jet Plane ? John Denver
Leaving On A Jet Plane ? Peter, Paul & Mary
Next Plane To London ? Rose Garden
Outbound Plane ? Suzy Bogguss
Paper Airplanes ? Seals & Crofts
Plane (If The Plane Goes Down) ? Jason Mraz
Planes ? Jefferson Starship
Trains & Boats & Planes ? Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas
Watching Airplanes ? Gary Allan
Wooden Planes ? Art Garfunkel

Although not specifically about flying, Sheryl Crow's Steve McQueen has a lot of flying references. And the fact that Steve McQueen used to live in his hangar with his Stearman and his supermodel girlfriend helps, too. :)

a few more

Learning to Fly - The Foo Fighters
Major Tom - Shiny Toy Guns, David Bowie, Peter Schilling
Rocket Man - Elton John
Superman - Five for Fighting
Eagle - ABBA
Fly Me to the Moon - Sinatra

A few years ago I bought a CD by The Rudder Brothers called "Country Goes Flying". If you get a copy of that you might find what you are looking for. The songs on it are:

1 - Approach
2 - Three Miles High
3 - DC-3
4 - Relative Wind
5 - She Sets Me Free
6 - Airplane
7 - Don't Look Down
8 - Silver Bird
9 - For Sale
10 - Departure

I went to a Merl Haggard concert here in Fayetteville, Arkansas recently and his opening song started out with "Silver Wings" - I mean to tell you it sent a thrill through me.

There is a song by a performer named Joe Nichols that plays on KBVA occasionally called "If I could Only Fly". It is so moving that I had to go on the station's website to get the information so I could buy it from Amazon. The CD is Joe Nichols "Real Things."

Bob Axsom

SILVER WINGS........... HERE...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w99UIu9N44w&playnext=1&list=PL8FAE9760321E2FF8&index=2

Papa Whisky November

I found this song playing in the background on a website for flying tours of Australia. Through that and this forum I tracked it down and bought the CD. Papa Whisky November is an Australian airplane identification. It is performed by John Williamson and it is track 13 of disc 2 of his album John Williamson - True Blue, The Very Best of. Great song.

Bob Axsom

Icarus Ascending

Dan Fogelberg's "Icarus Ascending" from the Full Circle CD. I'm going to name my -7A "Icarus Ascending" in memory of Dan

"Flying" music

"Linus & Lucy" from A Charlie Brown Christmas came on. WOW! I couldn't keep my wings level. I didn't have the roll rate to keep up with the tune but I tried and had a blast!

I have a Vince Guaraldi pandora station set up and love the Linus & Lucy tune best of all. Never thought about it for flying.

I have a CD by Kevin Hoo called 'Above the Clouds' it is all instrumental but it makes me feel like I am flying when I am not, and it's great to play in the air as well.

The music-only scene from 'The Battle of Britain'

Had an 8 track in a non-electrical Taylorcraft BC-12D back in the late 60's-70's. Would play that symphonic arrangement from the huge dog fighting scene from 'The Battle of Britain' while zooming around on 65 HP.

Learning to Fly by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne.

And although not about flying, Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" will always make me think about planes especially anything heavy fast and intimidating. I will always remember a video clip of a an SR-71 being towed out and made ready for flight with this track in the background. As you say over the pond "Awesome".

You've just got to get something by The Royal Guardsmen, Airplane song.

I can go for miles in my airplane
Have a lot of smiles in my airplane
I can go up - I can get down
But I can get to you
If you don't want me around
In my airplane

You could wear your flowers in my airplane
Laugh and talk for hours in my airplane
You can go from - And you can go to
And if you'll fly with me
Then I will fly to you
In my airplane

If I get my jet in set
Myself right on the runway of your city
You would not be there to meet me
You would not be there to greet me
That's wrong and a pity

We could go to Maine in my airplane
Chase away the rain in my airplane
We can go up - We can go down
But the way we're going now
We won't get off the ground
In my airplane

If I get my jet in set
Myself right on the runway of your city
You would not be there to meet me
You would not be there to greet me
That's wrong and a pity

We could go to Maine in my airplane
Chase away the rain in my airplane
We can go up - We can go down
But the way we're going now
We won't get off the ground
In my airplane

Last edited:
Airplane Music

It's actually overused, but Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" is easy to play and works great for aerobatic videos. just search YouTube.

I also have to confess being partial to a particular Beatles tune on IFR departures.

I love the feeling of breaking through the tops into bright sunshine, especially if I've been living under a dreary overcast for a few days. My wife rolls her eyes as we start to get those little flashes of sun, because she knows I'm going to start singing "Here Comes the Sun" from Abbey Road. I'm an enthusiastic but tragically untalented singer :p