jferraro17

Opulence, I has it...
Searched around, and don't see an exact answer to my questions, so I'll cut & paste here, as Van's support wont be back until Monday:

"I ordered/recv'd a complete set of FWF drawings (FWF Doc) with my modified finish kit this weekend. At first review, I'm seeing some inconsistancies with my physical firewall and what the drawings show. I'm hoping this is due to my kit being a -1 version and the drawings being dated, but I need some clarification, as this is a first go-round for me...

The holes for control cable pass-thrus were pre-drilled at the factory...none of the cable holes are the same as the drawing. In fact they are oriented in a "triangle" ?

The hole for the heat box pass-thru was pre-drilled as well. This appears to be the location for a IO engine, however, I'm using a carb engine...will this other location be a problem?

The pressure/sender manifold is mounted either vertically or horizontally depending on carb or FI. Well, the previous question makes me wonder about interference if I mount it one way or the other?

I'm concerned a decision made and a hole drilled will be a mistake once the mount and engine go on...can you help?"

Very frustrated at first glance with these "plans". They seem to try and encompass the 7/8/9 with either a carb or FI...guess I was expecting something a little more model specific. Any input appreciated, especially from the -8A guys with a carb! ;)

Joe

dont fret

Joe, with the 8 we are fortunate to have quite a bit of room between the accessory case and firewall. I Did not go per plans on the control cable pass thru although there are in the general area to minimize a potential length change, I also placed mine in a triangle pattern. I mounted the manifold block vertically in the upper left, no issues. I placed the heat valve per plans which will pick up the heat off the muff on the right side exhaust. I have a 4 pipe custom vetterman system, not sure if the valve would be in the way of a crossover system (I doubt it). The only real space issue is directly behind ignition and oil filter. (depending on engine). Also remember to put in the oil pressure fitting prior to mounting the engine, the mount can get in the way, again depending on engine model.

Thanks Pat!!

P1010023.JPG

OP-35 kind of matches the out of the box holes, thats the IO-320/360 drawing. For the heat, going to have to make that work since its already there and it's 2"!

Fingers crossed that "carbed" cable lengths work with these holes...again, they're already there. Not sure which hole is for which cable, but will probably be obvious with the engine mounted.

The transducer manifold is the other issue for me because the hoses may differ in length based on vertical/horizontal orientation and carb vs FI. Which engine are you using?

Joe

ECI IO360 cold air sump

is the engine Im using. The cold sump created problems as the intake sits about 2.5 inches lower than standard therefore no exhaust existed until Larry created it. The holes in the firewall will present themselves as you get closer to hanging the engine. The lower hole (down near bottom) is probably the bat cable with the starter celenoid mounted to the front side of the firewall. The transducer manifold doesnt need to be figured out yet either. It can easily be mounted later. I bet the hose for the oil pressure line will fit in either configuration (horiz/vert).