tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
FWF parts for Superior I0360 vertical induction

I am trying to determine the FWF parts needed for my application. I am bulding an 8A but I think the FWF setup is pretty much the same for all models (perhaps I am wrong).

Here is my setup:

Superior IO-360 vertcial draft 180hp engine.
Fixed pitch prop (Cato)
Emag/Pmag
Vetterman crossover exhaust

I spoke today with Ken at Vans who supplied me with a list of FWF parts for an IO-360 vertical draft engine that they have developed by modifying their standard O-360 FWF parts list which is for a horizontal induction engine (but not a Superior engine). Apparantly Gus at Vans put this list together early in 2008 and it was mentioned in earlier posts here.

Has anyone used that modified parts list from Vans? Is anyone else using this setup or knows the correct parts list?

I already have the Vetermanns crossover exhaust, SS cabin air box, and some other parts that are on the list. I am especially concered with the length of the oil and fuel hoses.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil hoses are fine if you mount the cooler in the stock (on the baffle) location. I ended up making my own fuel lines to fit my particular routing; it was no big deal. I also had to make my own brackets for the throttle/mixture setup which prompted me to measure for my cables. I don't have the results from that but I remember they were standard lengths from Vans; I'll try to see if it's in the builder's log later today. If you're building a tail-dragger, the brackets from AFP will probably work just fine. Superior/AFP supplied the fuel pump and filter, which will be redundant in the FWF kit, but the rest of the mounting parts you'll need. The Van's kit, overall, was a pretty good fit for me.

Thanks Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for the information. I am using precision (Bendix) fuel injection. I have the cables for throttle and mixture in place along with the quandrant.

My main concern is the length of the hoses and "gotchas" that I won't know about until I run into them or someone gives me a heads up about them.

I'm glad to hear that the oil cooler hoses will work. I do plan to mount it on the baffle. Perhaps the fuel line routing on your project was different because of the AFP system??