Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Is it permissible to sub a plain nut with a split lockwasher for an all-metal locknut FWF? The nuts in question will be used to mount a standby alternator on the vacuum pump pad which has 1/4-20 studs.

No without a flat washer. If you include a flat washer with the all metal locknut, I would consider that to be superior to a plain nut and split lockwasher.

Flat washer...

of course I should have mentioned that. There will be a flat washer regardless of what nut I go with. The problem I'm having is locating 1/4-20 all metal locknuts. All the local auto parts stores, home improvement centers and TSC don't carry them. I can order on-line, but the order quantity is high -- like 100. I'll bite the bullet if I need to but if a plain nut, lock washer, and plain washer will suffice, then I'll go that route.

So the question remains - is it OK to do so?

Last edited:
Todd, check on the Van's site for hardware, if you have not already. I don't know if they have that specific nut, but they allow small quantity orders. I also might have a few of those at my hangar. i will check and let you know.

Just answered my own question. Van's does not have them listed on the web store. Try http://www.bonaero.com/
They allow small orders. Another possible source would be GAHCO. Their website is being remodeled, but you can call them at 888-247-2738. The owner, Tom, has been a really good source for RV builders.

Lyc parts catalog calls for: STD-8 (1/4 plain washer), STD-160 (internal tooth lockwasher), STD-1411 (1/4-20 plain nut).