dweyant

Well Known Member
I swear I read a thread on this a while ago, but I' can't find it, and I don't know if things have changed, so I thought I'd ask again...

I'm starting to think about ordering my Finish Kit and possibly my FWF kit.

I am most likely going to go with the Vans XIO-320 and a constant speed prop.

I won't need the kits for about 5-6 months, but I will likely order if/when Vans announces a price increase so I can save a few bucks. I might also order the engine/prop if they offer a Sun n Fun deal again.

So my questions are:

1 - Should I get the Vans FWF kit? Why/Why not?
2 - What should I delete/add/substitute out of the finish kit?
3 - It "seems" like getting the Lycoming engine from Vans, and getting the Vans FWF kit makes the simplest install, any thoughts on that?

I'm a bit nervous about the entire engine thing, and anything I can do to make that easier sounds appealing.

Thanks,

-Dan

1. As a first time builder (RV-9A, O-320, Sensenich FP) I was glad I got the FWF kit from Vans. Everything was there so I didn't have to scrounge around and buy things piecemeal. You'll need to buy a battery separately and any sensors or specialty items, depending on what equipment you will add, that are not part of the FWF kit. Essentially, it includes everything needed for a very basic install. I can't remember if it includes the wiring or not. I also bought Vans basic wiring kit.

2. If you will have a gascolator, go ahead and get the gascolator bracket and install it while you are building your firewall.

3. That worked well for me.

The engine install, for me, was the most challenging part of the build, but also the most rewarding. I was fortunate to have several pairs of veteran eyes check on me frequently.

First engine start was a great day!

Hope this helps some. Enjoy!