apkp777

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to install the upper skin FWD of my tip-up canopy. I am thinking about using pro-seal to seal it up. Did anyone use something different?

Just out of curiousity ...

... along the meeting line between the subpanel and the canopy frame (where the w'strip goes), or more joints than that?

... along the meeting line between the subpanel and the canopy frame (where the w'strip goes), or more joints than that?

No, the skin FWD of the canopy skin. (from firewall back to sub panel).

I am planning on using pro-seal where the skin attaches to the firewall., but where it attaches to the sub panel I am not sure. Like many I have a gap in between the FWD skin and the canopy skin. I would like to weather proof the gap as well as I can. The relief cuts in the sub panel are really what I am concerned about.

I put a 3/4 inch "ramp" of proseal from the fwd skin to the tip up skin and also put a bead along the mating surface to create a form in place gasket, used vaseline on the tip up skin to prevent sticking. I think it looks good. I havnt had it in the rain yet but it looks to be more watertight than some I've seen.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30477239@N07/3304937984/

Last edited:
I put a 3/4 inch "ramp" of proseal from the fwd skin to the tip up skin and also put a bead along the mating surface to create a form in place gasket, used vaseline on the tip up skin to prevent sticking. I think it looks good. I havnt had it in the rain yet but it looks to be more watertight than some I've seen.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30477239@N07/3304937984/

That look's pretty good. Sort of what I had in mind.

My plan is...

..to use pro-seal in those periodic gaps along the top of the subpanel, and rely on more traditional w'stripping for the front edge of the T/U canopy frame. As you probably know, McMaster-Carr has a broad selection of w'strips with good detail information. Better yet, they're not expensive !!!

When you find the perfect one, please share it with us. I have bought at least 4 different ones and have not found what I want yet.

I think it is going to take a combo of two different types since part of the area just closes down on the seal and the sides scrub across the seal.

I hate to have splits in the seals at 10 & 2 but I don't know what else would work long term....

..to use pro-seal in those periodic gaps along the top of the subpanel, and rely on more traditional w'stripping for the front edge of the T/U canopy frame. As you probably know, McMaster-Carr has a broad selection of w'strips with good detail information. Better yet, they're not expensive !!!

Brantel,

It would help if you'd tell me the four you bought that didn't fit the bill. No sense in my reinventing that (those) wheel(s).