apkp777

Well Known Member
Did anyone install a fwd static port for their altimeter encoder? My pitot static lines will be routed to the empannage (ADAHRS) and not to the panel. I don't really want to bring a static line fwd for the encoder

Any suggestion as to the best location to get the most accurate static reading from a fwd location?

Did anyone install a fwd static port for their altimeter encoder? My pitot static lines will be routed to the empannage (ADAHRS) and not to the panel. I don't really want to bring a static line fwd for the encoder

Any suggestion as to the best location to get the most accurate static reading from a fwd location?

Could you put your encoder in the back with the ADAHRS? Then just run the serial TXD forward to the transponder?

If you have an ADARHS then you must have one of the popular EFISes out there, which means it should provide encoding to your txpdr...without the need of an encoder. Don't know the exact answer because I don't know what equipment you're using.

Also, if you have an Autopilot like AFS, TruTrakor Trio, you'll need pitot/static for that as well as any backup or other instruments you might be using in the panel.

Otherwise, just run the line(s) up to the panel and don't fool with more static ports. The RV's are rather sensitive not only to static port location but type as well.

Cheers,
Stein

static port position

Been there, done that, does not work, to much error with a forward port. just put it where they plans say.

Ah, again Stein saves the day (don't you have orders to fill). I am going to be using Skyview. It probably does have an encoder function. I guess I assumed that a traditional Barometric static was necessary for encoding. Confusion is what happens when you stare at the gaggle of wires for hours on end wondering how much more money can I throw at this project. An encoder! ah yes, that'll add more fun and expense! Let's add one of those.

Sounds like having a fwd static source isn't a good idea. Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like having a fwd static source isn't a good idea. Thanks for the replies.

I have fwd static source that works excellent. Except it's part of a heated static/pitot tube that now cost over six times what I paid for it. :)

In the meantime, I added a TruTrak autopilot behind the baggage compartment which required a rear static source. At that point, I installed the Van's static kit before painting.

But.............in the search of redundancy, which I may never need, I took a light weight piece of plastic tube from the Van's static system and ran it all the way to under the panel (under the right side arm rest). I've never connected this to valves, etc. It's just capped for the moment.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I have an "alternate static" kit I got from SafeAir. I still haven't figured out how I am going to run/install that. I am running out of room to run stuff back and forth to the tail section.