gfr56md

Greetings
I have fitted and drilled the F-821PP(upper fwd fuselage skin) to the Firewall and F866BPP (aft bulhead of the baggage area) and the instrument panel, except for the rivets that attach to longerons. The F822 lines up exactly on the right side, by that I mean prepunched holes are in line with rivets already in place on longeron. He left side is coming up 2/32nds short. I was interested to know if others have had this happen and how they addressed it
Jerry, -8QB

Jerry,

The memory is the second thing to go....but I do remember that I had to stretch a bit to get it to fit. I do remember starting drilling in the middle and working my way down both sides, so I ended up at each longeron at the same time. But I am thinking that I started by clecoing in on each side (to both longerons) before I drilled to the firewall and 866 - that way I new that it was going to fit on each longeron before I started drilling the bulkheads. Not sure what I can tell you to do now - but I do remember when I clecoed the skin on (everytime) that I had to put each cleco in at a slight angle, and let it straighten itself out - like it was really stretching. It's tight!

Paul

F-821pp

Hi Jerry, I'm not 100% sure I understand your problem. On my QB, most holes along the longeron were pre-drilled on the skin, and all of them were pre-drilled on the longeron, IIRC. Then, you had to back drill a few of the holes in the skin through the longeron.

When I did this, these back-drilled holes were not perfectly in line with the pre-drilled holes. Unlike Paul's installation, I stretched mine too tight. This eventually gave me trouble with instrument panel frame, allowing me the opportunity to place another order with Van's.

The holes along the longeron were off by about half a rivet head, I think. I was not too happy, but have since gotten a little more perspective on problems like this. :)

Is this the problem you are having, or is it something else?

Mickey and Paul
Thanks for reply. Sounds like Mickey had similar experience to what I have. As I have already drilled all top skin holes except those along longerons I will just pull skin down as tight as I can on the offending side and drill through longeron accepting a small deviation. I should be less than 1/2 rivet head 3/64" or so
Thanks Jerry