mrt890

Well Known Member
Everybody should check the fit of the 1271 Fwd fuselage corner skins to the 1274 Corner skins and the Lower firewall when you get the bottom skin rivetted on. Mine didn't fit. Talked to Vans and they are sending me out a new set. Also, the cooler stiffener holes didn't match the holes punched in the Firewall.

Everybody should check the fit of the 1271 Fwd fuselage corner skins to the 1274 Corner skins and the Lower firewall when you get the bottom skin rivetted on. Mine didn't fit. Talked to Vans and they are sending me out a new set. Also, the cooler stiffener holes didn't match the holes punched in the Firewall.

I must be just a day behind you. I have the same problem with both parts. I will call Van's on Monday to get a solution.

Also, don't mount the steps until you have riveted the corner skins on because you can't get at one of the rivets with the steps in place. After you rivet the corner skin on, you can slide the step in and bolt it in place before you close out that section.

Firewall Pattern

I just came across the same problems today. I read the part of the article but I wasn't sure what it was referring to because just after receiving the kit I got a template in the mail that was for drilling some holes on the firewall. Apparently different holes. I will call Van's in the am.

Rich

Hi guys- I'd just like to get a conformation of the three problem areas of the fuselage kit so far. I'm just about to put on the lower corner skins, and
I'd like to make sure of what I'm facing before I proceed. The three problem areas, as I understand it, are- 1.) The missing hole and the undersized one for the snap bushings in the 1204A bulkhead ( this one strikes me as being pretty easy to reach and solve- correct me, if I'm wrong) 2.) Holes in the firewall, that don't match the part that is supposed to attach to it. and, 3.) The foreward corner skin (1274) to skin (1275A) interface, or is it where they join the bottom skin? I'm planning on calling Vans in the am, but I'd like to make sure of what I'm asking about, before I do. Thanks-Steve

Steve Wyman

Steve To answer your questions

1. You are correct

2. We are talking about the cooler stiffener to the lower firewall.

3. It is the fit of 1271 skins to the lower firewall and the 1274 skin.

Vans knows what the problems are.

Firewall pattern and skins

Called Van's this am. They said work on something else until the engineers figure it out. I was hoping for something more definitive than that since it sounds like they have heard this before from at least two people. Did anybody get any more direction than I did?

Rich

Steve To answer your questions

1. You are correct

2. We are talking about the cooler stiffener to the lower firewall.

3. It is the fit of 1271 skins to the lower firewall and the 1274 skin.

Vans knows what the problems are.

I called Van's today and talked to Ken Scott. He said that the above problems only affected the first 20 kits and that they had a fix for the problems and would be shipping out the new parts with instructions this week.