Louavul

Well Known Member
Anyone have any problems with the center lines of the fwd center fuse floor stiffeners not aligning with the prepunched holes of the lower skin?

Positioning of the angle attaches at the firewall and the fwd spar carry through seem correct they are however the reason for the displacement.

I notched the stiffeners as Dan suggested but this actually allowsthem to nest better with the firewall attaches but moves them even farther off the center line, nearly 1/8 inch.

If they were drilled and shot in this position there would be just enough ED to make it legal.

Thoughts appreciated,

Steven L. Hild
La Vernia, TX
RV-7 590SC (res)
center fuse

I too noticed that they didn't line up with the center line, but it was at most 1/16th off. There was just over 1/4" edge clearance to the holes which is plenty.

Also where did you mark the center line in the angle? The center line should be drawn at 11/32" (in this case) from the edge in question, not directly in the middle at 3/8". I learned that lesson the hard way on the fuse sides after the fact.

James

Last edited:
Another comment concerning center floor stiffeners

FWIW: Before installing the two center floor stiffeners(ie, before drilling them) you might want to check and make sure you have enough space between the aft end of the two center floor stiffeners and the 704A bulkhead web so that the inboard portion of your landing gear weldments will slide in behind them without rubbing. I had to grind one floor stiffener end down a bit to get the gear weldment to slide behind it because I had already riveted them to the floor skin/704A bottom flange. I think Vans might well have builders just cut the vertical leg of the angles on the aft ends of the two center floor stiffeners at an angle away from the 704A bulkdhead before installing to avoid this. Can't see why that would hurt.