bobnoffs

Well Known Member
just got started on the fuse.page 3 has you clecoing the center section aft bulkhead and the center assembly to the bottom skin. now drill 73 #30 holes to fasten the aft bulkhead and center section assembly while clecoed to the skin. drill these holes freehand thru 5/16'' aluminum?did everyone do this as directed? seems like lifting the clamped parts off the skin and using the drillpress would be much better. how did others do it?

I drilled those holes a couple of weeks ago as directed - free hand. All the holes came out fine.

In retrospect, it might have been wise to use an egg cup drill guide but I never actually checked to see if drill guide would sit properly to do its intended job.

Use plenty of Boelube and a new bit.

freehand. I started using Boelube on the nut plates. Now I use it for everything. Great stuff.

Bob

I had too much free play freehand and resorted to a drill press.

subDrillCloser.jpg

Jeff

is boelube avaible anywhere else than 0nline? i am thinking ''boe'' sounds aviation.
after reading a post that a drill press has been used i set up my drill press and although slow i am at low risk for mangling holes. 1/2 done no problems.

74 #30 holes

I made a drill guide from a piece of 1/2"x 3/4" x2" steel. I drilled a #30 hole through one end of the steel on the 3/4" face about a 1/4" from the end. Use the shank of the #30 drill through the guide into the hole to be drilled, clamp in place and then drill through. It took some time but was easier for me than going with the drill press.

Boelube & drill guide

Use Boelube and a drill guide ... take your time, you will be fine. Also, it is a good idea to change drill bits occasionally so you are always working with a sharp bit.

Boelube comes in two forms a hard waxy solid in a small tub and a liquid. I prefer using both depending on the application ... the liquid does well when machine countersinking, horizontal drilling and for tapping holes. The solid is great for running screws through nut plates and drilling holes in vertical surfaces. Both forms of the product perform quite well.