Vonsmallhousen

Can anyone tell me the gap that is required between the fuselarge and the top surface of the flap. I have trimed the top surface to get the flap moving to full up with a gap of about 1/32. Is this enough or is a greater gap required?

Thanks Vonsmallhousen:)

check the movement of the flap in the hinge

i used 3/32... check how much movement you have in the flap back and forth from the hinge. for me there is about 1/32 play in the hinge so i have a minimum clearance of 1/16 to a maximum of 3/32.

At first, I made mine too tight (~1/32") and I ended up with a wear mark on the sides of the fuselage. Between the left/right slop in the hinge and wing flexing during flight 1/32" was not enough. Opened it up to 3/32 and all is fine...

Now Riverts fowl on the fuslarge skin

I have now trimed the flap skin with a gap of 3/32 and are finding that the riverts on the FL-706A and the FL-706B are touching on the fuselarge skin.

Checked the Aileron and flap gap and in is 1/4 inch. The only way I can see to fixed the problem is drill the riverts out and put in AN426AD4-7 flush riverts with the flush head on the inboard side. I are having to do it to both flaps.

Has anyone else had this problem

Last edited:
Flush rivets

I installed my flaps with 1/4" between them and the aileron on my RV-7A. I then had to trim the inboard flap top skin to clear the fuselage. I carefully cut back a little at a time. I wanted to get somewhere between 1/16-1/8" gap. I found the heads of the 470 rivets holding the flap brackets to the flap were very close if not touching the fuselage skin. I replaced the top two 470 rivets with 426's. Solved my problem.