Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
We are near completing the right wing and starting the fuselage. The -8 that we built previously for my buddy was a QB fuselage. My -7A is a standard build (I hate the term "slow" build :) ). Any suggestions on what sort of jigs/supports/stands we need to make/buy during construction, before there is enough constructed to put up on jackstands or wooden "legs" (or even the actual gear legs)?

Did a search and all I could find were examples of "canoes" or more complete fuses on various stands, rotisseries, etc. We're looking for what we need to have for the early portions of the fuse build.

TIA!

I just built everything up on the workbench until the canoe phase, then it went on a rotisserie. Most of the initial fuse build in assembling the bulkheads, then you assemble the tail cone, mid fuse, then attach those, etc. The workbench worked well (3X8ft).

This what you're talking about?

5-10-08-005w.jpg

5-10-08-003w.jpg

Those stands worked great when it came time to move the fuse for whatever reason...they sit on dolly's now, and move in any direction...

6-21-08-007w.jpg

The stands are made from steel, and attach to the fuse with wood "spars" (made by Carl, above).

If you don't want to weld...

This what you're talking about?

<snip out pics>

The stands are made from steel, and attach to the fuse with wood "spars" (made by Carl, above).

The steel supports can be steel railing posts from Home Depot.... just cut them to length.

They come with the nice square base and a plastic plug so there would be no sharp edges at the cut off end...