PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of readying the side skins for riveting and a couple things came to mind while deburring last evening and thought I'd ask the questions.

1. On the side skin where it mates to the F-623 baggage ribs, there is a small oval hole that I presume is where the flap rod emerges from the fuse. Would it be wise to go ahead and put that same hole in the F-623 before riveting? I'm sure it will be larger when fitting the flaps, but it seems it would be simpler if the hole was already started in the rib.

2. Would it be okay to put a hole sized for the static line and a chaff cover through the F-705 assy under the longeron? The F-724 aft bulkhead gets one in that location and it seems that there's plenty of room between rivets in the F-705G angle to accomadate them.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything in a search.

Hope all have a great Thanksgiving.

Paul,

I wouldn't cut the flap hole now. It is easy to do later AND the fuselage will remain stiff until you get the skins riveted in place.

As for the static line, I'm not sure what you mean by "chaff cover". What would be a good thing to do now is to drill a hole for where the static line comes through the bulkhead up by the seat back support. Sorry, I don't remember the number. I drilled a hole just big enough for the line and not snap bushing there.

To support the static line along the longeron, I drilled #30 holes and zip tied it in place.

Here's a picture:

The chaff cover I was talking about was some tubing just larger than the static tubing to keep it from rubbing where it goes through that bulkhead. A snap bushing wouldn't work there I don't think because of the thickness of the parts.

I'll leave the flap hole alone. I hadn't thought about the stiffness of the skin.

Thanks for the help.

why no snap bushing

Hi Mike - I was just wondering why you don't use a snap bushing for the static line. To keep the hole size to a minimum for structural reasons?

Happy Thanksgiving,

I did a little different. I used a piece of aluminum to make a clip to hold the line and put in a snap bushing through the bulkhead hole.
IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

I have done the same - where it's imposible to clip the static line under the
cap strip I have put spiral wrap around it just to give it a little more protection from chaffing.

Hi Mike - I was just wondering why you don't use a snap bushing for the static line. To keep the hole size to a minimum for structural reasons?

Hey Dave,

The method I used was actually from another builder (or was it RVator?). Can't remember, but after the fact, it seems to be a great solution thru the 705 bulkhead where the bulkhead is thicker at that location. I think there are three layers of metal there, so there is plenty of bearing for the tube. I'd do it this way again if I had it to do over again. :)

To put a snap bushing in there would require drilling a much larger hole just to fill with a snap bushing. Also, I didn't want to have an edge distance problem with surrounding rivets with a larger hole. The fit is very snug, but allows installation of the tube quite easily.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike