Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out where to route my Pitot/AOA lines from the wing roots through the fuselage to the panel. Some of the passthroughs called out in the plans are already full with fuel lines and wiring.

In the tunnel, one of the spar pass throughs is empty as shown in these two pictures.

47xAJfO.jpg

WPCWuTe.jpg

What I'm thinking of doing is drilling a hole through the fuselage side skin and ribs at about the location shown in the picture below. Notice the circle drawn on the skin on the right side of the picture. I would drill this hole in all the fuselage ribs on the left side to the center tunnel, and then route the lines through the empty spar pass through shown earlier.

PvCjj8N.jpg

Would it be permissible to put a hole in this location? How big would be permissible? A hole 1/2 in diameter would probably be sufficient for my purposes.

If not where shown, where else would you suggest?

Thanks for the guidance.
Michael-

I see the problem...

I checked the plans again. It's been awhile since I've looked at those. The plans say the pitot line should enter the fuselage where I have the wires and that it should passthrough the spar in the hole in the outer most bay and then run along the front of the spar parallel to the fuel lines.

I put wiring in the hole parallel to the fuel lines. The wiring is suppose to passthrough the spar in the center section, where I have the empty hole. And then the wires that need to go out to the wing should go through the holes on the back side of the spar right next to the spar. I drilled those holes as instructed earlier in the build. But left them empty.

I'm going to re-route my wiring as instructed in the plans then I can route the pitot line though the holes currently being occupied by wiring on the front side of the spar.

That way I won't have to drill any new holes through the fuselage ribs.

Michael-

hole

I used alum hard line for the pitot. the first time I tried it through the fwd wiring hole and kinked the pitot alum hard line. I removed the wing and tried it again. the second time I added the hole where you have it marked. better because it is straight through from wing to fuse. hey, I made my first long trip from Cincinnati to Wichita this weekend. the return from Wichita to Cincinnati was direct, total fuel burn was 26 gallon, 630 nm. Fuel verified by both the fuel gauge and top off confirmation upon arrival. I had some tailwind. 7 gph. Amazing machine! 50 hr total on aircraft.

Last edited: