rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to order my RV-9A fuselage kit and would like input from others. What was the experience like building the SB fuselage. I am getting pretty tired of building the wings because of the repetition involved, (two of everything) and the assembly of each is similar. Did you enjoy building the fuselage after building the tail and wings or would you order the QB fuselage if you did it again? I enjoy the building process as long as I can keep myself interested and learning something new. One of the biggest downsides of the QB besides the extra money is the lead time.

Jim:

I went the slow build route for the wings. I also found it to be repetitious.
I ordered the QB fuselage and have no regrets. I placed the order when I was about half way through the wings. The fuselage arrived just about the time that I completed the control surfaces. The sheet metal work is fun, but the real fun (for me) is in the panel and FWF. My vote would be for the QB fuselage.

STEVEM said:
Jim:

I went the slow build route for the wings. I also found it to be repetitious.
I ordered the QB fuselage and have no regrets. I placed the order when I was about half way through the wings. The fuselage arrived just about the time that I completed the control surfaces. The sheet metal work is fun, but the real fun (for me) is in the panel and FWF. My vote would be for the QB fuselage.
Steve,
I assume you sent back the spar center section that came in the wings shipment. Can you describe that process a bit since I am also considering going QB on the fuse after the slow build wings.

Thanks
-mike

If time is no concern go slowbuild

The fuselage is SO much more enjoyable to build than the wings. Lots of little interesting things to do and very little repetition--and relatively little stress or anxiety. If time is not an issue for you, I'd do it yourself. If I were to do quickbuild anything, it would be the wings.

Jim:

First, I would call Van's to find out when their next container leaves for the Phillipines. They can give you a lead time for the QB fuselage based upon that. If you decide to go ahead with the QB fuselage........

You'll want to get your center section back to Van's as soon as possible.
I made a crate from some of the lumber that I had left over from the wing kit. The center section comes wrapped in plastic. Take the whole package and ship it back to Van's. I shipped mine UPS blue, hoping that It would get treated more gently.

When you fax your order form to Van's for the QB fuselage, just make a notation on it that you have shipped your center section back. I would give a call a week later to confirm that they have received the center section back in good condition.

That's it. Then just finish the wings and look forward to the fuselage arrival.

QB Fuse

Van's did have 7 and 9 QB fuselages is stock ready for shipping per this site just a couple of weeks ago. They might be gone, worth a phone call to check...

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
The fuselage is SO much more enjoyable to build than the wings. Lots of little interesting things to do and very little repetition--and relatively little stress or anxiety. If time is not an issue for you, I'd do it yourself. If I were to do quickbuild anything, it would be the wings.

I agree with Steve. Fuselage is more enjoyable than the wings and more interesting.

Mark
Working on canopy

maybe

I had the QB fuselage and I must admit that I was a builder who wanted to FLY, not a flyer who wanted to BUILD, or something like that. The finish, FWF, canopy, baffles, electrical, farings, plumbing, etc. will give you more than enough building fun, if you want to get flying a little sooner. But, that's just me. Plus, the QB quality is excellant.

On my brainwave

I had the same feelings and just did not enjoy the building as much as I thought. I am midway through my second wing and just could not see banging all of those rivets on the fuse. Go Q/B and don't worry, it will be there before you know it.