sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi all,

I'm coming up on ordering the fuselage in about another month, so I'm starting to research what should be swapped out. Based on other threads, I've got the list below so far, in addition to the options available on the order sheet itself. What else should I consider that's in the fuselage kit (as opposed to the finish kit)?

• Grove master cylinders, master reservoir - delete Matco
  • Bonaco fuel and brake lines - Delete all lines
  • Andair duplex fuel valve - delete Van's
  • Cockpit vents from Stein - Remove eyeball vents, keep scoop and tubing
  • Seatbelt / shoulder harness / crotch strap from Hooker, etc - Keep anchors, add crotch strap kit
  • EFII fuel injection & ignition kit, comes with dual pumps - Delete fuel pump
  • Possible center console w/center throttle - Delete throttle quadrant?

BTW, the Andair duplex valve that's listed in Van's web store, the FS 20x20-3, is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Andair duplex valves at Spruce. They have to be separate models, aren't they? Which one should I believe/get?

Thanks!

5052 aluminum tube

just a thought, 5052 alum tube for fuel and brake lines and you don't need to replace every 5 years. not difficult to make and install if you make a mock up from the soft tubing vans sells. 5052 makes nice flares.

That list might not render you a heck-of-a-lot of savings and therefore might not be worth the headache. Just sell what you don't use here on VAF. You might not get away with 100% Bonaco. They advised me to stick with aluminum on the brake runs inside the cockpit. The vents could possibly used as defrosters in some fashion. Aren't the fuel pumps in the firewall forward kit?

Dont forget the most important part! Be sure to check the quick build Box:D

I think the crotch strap anchor kit is standard with the fuselage now.
You might want to get the ELT/Strobe brackets for the sides of the fuselage.
If you are putting in an autopilot, get the servo brackets.
Conduit for running wires under the baggage floor and seat pans.
If you are building a tipup, then you will also need to get the F-697 hat section for the canopy quick release. I don't know why they don't put this piece in the fuselage kit instead of giving it to you in the finish kit. You can't get the subpanel done without it. If you are putting the EFII pump in the cabin, you will need the parts for the cover housing.
Also, order more nutplates, screws, washers, etc. You'll find that every modification requires some extra hardware that isn't in the standard kits.

Hah, Derek, I wish on the QB. Not enough gold left in that leprechaun pot. :) I'm already talking with Tom at TS Flightlines, so I'll double-check about brake lines. And for Steve, on the 5-year lifespan. I've heard that also, but I think that was just for rubber-only, not steel-braided Teflon/PTFE?

Bruce, thanks for your notes. I'm adding the ELT side bracket, the fuel pump cover housing, and the other misc "consumables" (conduit, platenuts, screws, etc). I'm building a slider, so the tip-up stuff won't apply. And I've already got all my servo brackets - and the servos too! :D

Thanks guys. Anything else you (or others) can think of?