Squeak

Well Known Member
I am ready to order the fuselage (slow kit) and wanted to know what options that should be ordered. It will be a 7-A with tip-up. I have steps, manual aileron trim, and static air kit, listed as options. What less is needed? What about the Dual Brake System? Do you really use it or is it just extra weight. Most of my flying will probably be solo.
Thanks,
Squeak

Just went through the same thing on the -9 fuse. Also went with manual aileron trim but did add the right side brakes. I too will mostly fly as the only pilot, but:

1. What if you do have another pilot who wants to fly, in the air AND on the ground?
2. What if you are ever going to be instructed in the plane (will the instructor be willing to fly without access to brakes?) Perhaps, perhaps not.
3. Any chance you'll ever want to teach your kid to fly in the plane?
4. If you ever sell the plan, will not having right side brakes be an issue for the potential buyer?
5. They don't cost that much in the long run? What is it? An extra $200?

To me the only disadvantage is that they add weight and a potential failure point, but I haven't hear of any significant problems in this regard.

Good luck.

I know others will disagree with me, but I think the Vans static air kit is a mess. The static ports are simply large pop rivets and the idea is that you glue the tubing to the back of the rivet. They're way too small to get the tube on properly. I ended up keeping only the tubing and getting some proper static ports and fittings (through Spruce, I think). I've also been told that SafeAir makes a really nice kit. Just my opinion, of course.

Steve Zicree
RV4

I agree, SafeAir1's kit is nice. Having said that, I have the original "pop rivet" that Van sells. Flying since 1993 with no problems.
Mel...DAR

Other things to consider as long as you're ordering are:

Tie down rings
Pitot tube if you don't see a need for a heated one.
Map Box
Some corrugated conduit for wire runs (I know, used mostly in the wings but you never know..).
I think most people would highly recommend dual brakes.
Also, the parking brake kit would be nice to have as well.
Seat Harnesses
Antenna's
Firewall recess kit if you're going Lycoming or Lyclone? (I'm not sure yet if this is part of the FWF kit or not).

Just some thoughts...

Squeak said:
I am ready to order the fuselage (slow kit) and wanted to know what options that should be ordered. It will be a 7-A with tip-up. I have steps, manual aileron trim, and static air kit, listed as options. What less is needed? What about the Dual Brake System? Do you really use it or is it just extra weight. Most of my flying will probably be solo.
Thanks,
Squeak
I ordered the extra brakes. It wasn't that expensive and, yeah, I'll probably usually fly alone and, yeah, it's extra weight. But if my wife and I are flying and I have a heart attack and go toes up, I'd like to give my wife a fighting chance for getting the plane down AND stopped.

Also, I don't think I'm the only one that'll ever own the plane, so if we prime every crevice because of "resale value," I suppose it doesn't make a lot of sense to stop at dual brakes. :D

FWIW,
Keeping with Van's KISS and cheap guidelines, I ordered the following 3 fuse options for my -9A:
steps
static air kit
VFR prepunched panel

Steve

I got the brake kit. The reason for going with a -7 was for CRM. This means I can delegate the taxi work to my Pax/Pilot while I am copying a clearance, organizing my paperwork or doing some other task.

I also got the electric aileron trim. The 'top hat control is really cool, I think.

I am going with Safe Air 1 and it looks pretty good!

Tip up for ease of avionics maintenance and upgrade.

No steps 'cause I don't need 'em.

:p CJ

Great tips everyone and I will order the brakes. This really helps in the decision-making.
Thanks to everyone,
Squeak