lr172

Well Known Member
I need to jack up the RV-6 to set the gear fairings. The plane is pretty much complete, but still in the garage, so wings not attached. I have been using the engine hoist to lift it, but that won't let me hold it level laterally, as is necessary for getting the fairings done. I need to add supports and shims under the fuse to get it to stay level.

before the engine was on, I just used a saw horse under the spar area, but now concerned with the extra weight of the engine. Can I just use 2X4's under the lower fuse skin at the spar location? Will that take the weight?

Thanks for your assistance here.

Larry

yes...

I did about same thing, but built using 2x4 and 1/2 plywood, with the angle of the fuse bottom. I also have a 3/8 thick rubber pad to provide extra security that I don't put uneven pressure on a small area. My jack pad is about 18 x 40 inch and goes under the spar and about half forward and half behind.

I've used sawhorses etc. under the fuselage for support. Most anywhere there is a bulkhead should be of sufficient strength if the support point is right under the bulkhead (firewall, spar, baggage bulkhead work well along with secondary support at one of the tail bulkheads). As noted, provide some padding to spread the load, especially if the airplane will be tilted at all.

Greg