gpiney

Well Known Member
I plan on ordering my fuse kit within the next month. It will be a -8 matched hole. I have not ordered the wing kit as I plan to order QB wings when I get the fuse on gear.
The question is, are there any 'extras' I should plan on ordering at the same time as the fuse kit? These could be options or items you will need more of during construction.

Thanks in advance,

I decided to pro-seal my exterior fuse skin seems. So maybe you want to order some. Plus you need it for the firewall.

Aileron trim kit.

Opps rivets of varying lengths. -4, -5, -6
You will most likely need a few!

gpiney said:
........ I have not ordered the wing kit as I plan to order QB wings when I get the fuse on gear.......The question is, are there any 'extras' I should plan on ordering at the same time as the fuse kit? These could be options or items you will need more of during construction.......
Greg,

Based upon your post, it is impossible to know what type of mission you are planning for your airplane. For instance, if you plan to install a lighting system for night flight you may want to plan on installing the strobe power pack(s) or at least the associated mounting bracket(s) at time of fuselage construction. Same deal for an ELT. When I ordered the fuselage kit way back in December (and still waiting) I deleted the stock landing gear, associated brackets and also the fuel selector from the order because of upgrades. Also, drilling for and installing autopilot components, particularily the pitch servo will be a bit easier if done during normal fuselage assembly.

I don't know how much elective time you have or for that matter, even your inclination to work on your project on a sustained basis but consider this. The Quickbuild advantage is not nearly as great as it used to be because the matched hole technology is so advanced that this builder was able to assemble the wings in less than 10 weeks including the wingtips. Admittedly, Van's kits are not unfamilar to me and I didn't have to buy tools this time around but I would rather spend the difference in cost between a standard and quickbuild kit on other priorities. For instance, I installed capacitive plates in the fuel tanks and that type of sending system is NOT available in the Quickbuild version and neither is an alternative choice of primer. Installing an electrical conduit and after-market pitot system may be a touch more difficult to install in a quickbuild too because one wing surface will already have the skins attached. For me at least, installing the landing light option was made considerably easier to do with the leading edge assembly off the wing and laying on the bench. Same deal for the opposite leading edge when I installed an AOA subkit.

Whatever you decide, it is unlikely you will manage to build yourself into a corner as (almost) everything I have mentioned is a builder option that can be successfully done......and at your leisure almost anytime.

Happy building!

Rick,

I was thinking more about certain extra rivets, nutplates, bolts, nuts, angle stock, etc. that builders over the years have found that they really needed. Just the stuff that I can add to my order and get included in that big crate for no extra shipping money.

A big problem with ordering the fuse prior to the wings is not having the longerons that come with the wing kit. You might want to check on what you will have to pay extra for them to ship those.

I know building the fuse is more glamorous than the wings but maybe you would be better off doing the wings first. I'm sure the new match-holed fuse is a lot easier than the old style (jig required) fuse kit I have but I'm sure the extra experience from the wings will help a lot before building the fuse.

My big problem is storage. If I were to build the wings or buy QB wings, I would have to pay around $75-100 a month to store them when finished. Over a 3 year period it adds up. If I do the fuse first, then QB wings, I can at least get everything into a hangar ($500-600/mo). With local help, the QB wings can be finished and hung in a couple of weeks (so my friends tell me). And when I mean fuse, I mean fuse, engine, finishing kit, panel.

Maybe your local EAA chapters hanger will let you store your wings strapped to the wall for a little donation. Thats what a few local guys here are doing.

briand said:
Maybe your local EAA chapters hanger will let you store your wings strapped to the wall for a little donation. Thats what a few local guys here are doing.

IF my chapter had a place to call their own. Not many around here do. We have been trying to get a 'permanent home' for 7-8 years with no luck. We can get free meeting rooms, but nothing in the form of 'hangar-like' space.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the wing spar mounting plate which is match drilled and part of the fuselage come with the wings. You will need this to build the fuse.

jus10stephens said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the wing spar mounting plate which is match drilled and part of the fuselage come with the wings. You will need this to build the fuse.

I think thats been changed with the new match-punched fuse.

Call up Aircraft Spruce and order their miscellaneous bolt, washer, nut, and cotter pin packs.

While you are at it, ask for a bunch of the different plate nuts. (K1000-8, K1100-8, K2000-8, & K3000-8) You might even wish to order a bunch of -6's while you are at it. I used a bunch of these alone with 8-32 cap screws on my panel and other places to make sure I could remove equipment with little effort.