claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I have to move my fuse into storage for a while, It's a kit built fuse, but up to the QB stage (thanks, Kent). I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of a wooden beam placed thru the wing center section with either castor wheels mounted on it to wheel around the shop or just to make picking up and moving easier. I don't have the factory supplied wooden bit.
My concern is there seems to be two bolts or bushings near the center of the wing box up high, so any load placed on the wooden beam would be transferred to these bolts/bushings rather than to the aluminum.
Any photos or dimensions of wooden pieces placed thru the wing center section used to support the fuse would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Clay,
It might be a lot easier to get a $10 HF furniture dolly and place it under the spar receiver. Or buy two for more stability.

8 or 7

If this is an 8 or 7, you can just get some 2x10 and cut a short peace maybe 20" long. Stick it in the through spar or center carry through if you like, mark the place for the four big bolts. Take them out and drill I/16" over sized and used hardware store bolts to hold them in place. Then put what ever wheels you like bolted to the stub that sticks out. We used wagon wheels in a double stack on both sides for the 8 or 7. You may have to run your false spars through a plane to mill off a little so they will fit into the center section, but this trick has been around for many years and works very well. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

One or two pieces?

Thanks Robert. Just to be clear, I'm not placing a single piece all the way through, I'm sticking two separate pieces in, one from each side?

Yes.

Yep that is what I have done and set out here. Works just fine, no need for factory bolts or tight hole in the board. I like to use hardwood. Red oak if I can fined it. When I am through with them, I put them on the self and use them on the next job, they are pat of your tool kit then. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888