tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I very much appreciate all the input on my earlier post regarding fuses v breakers. After reading those posts, I have decided to use some of each. Now that that decision has been made, the next decision is where to put the fuseblocks.

I can see 3 possible locations.

The first, is on the door that almost all of us make between the baggage compartment and the back of the instrument panel. That is a logical location and seems to be the default. That location is "remote" and access to the fuseblocks can only be obtained on the ground, through the baggage compartment. Setting aside the issue as to whether one ought to mess with blown fuses in flight, the remote location simply makes it harder to get to a fuse or inspect the fuseblock.

The second, is the drop down panel which is mounted to the underside of the panel and swings down on a hinge. The fuses are out of sight but can more readily be accessed for maintenance.

The third is a location that I have seen on only one RV, but makes sense. That is on the vertical portion of the bulkhead on the right side, forward of the instrument panel of the 8 or 8A. The fuseblock can be seen (and reached) by the pilot. A downside of this location is that only a couple of fuse blocks can be placed there because of space limitations.

I am including a pic of the location I am refering to:

fuseblocklocation6wr.jpg

I have only seen fuseblocks in that location on one RV, which was flying and therefore had been inspected. Does anyone see a problem with placing the fuseblocks there from an FAA inspection prespective? Mel?

I would be interested in the observations and input of the group as to which location is best.