Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
Had a chap approach me yesterday at the flying club.

Guy: You make EFIS systems ?
Me: Maybe, sort of. (I tend to be carful as EFIS makers get asked to fix fridges around here).
Guy: Maybe you can advise me. I have a XXX. Does not work. What can I do ?
Me: What's the problem ?
Guy: The buttons are worn out, really have to press hard to do anything. Can you fix it ?
Me: No, it's an American product, I don't have the spares. I'm afraid you might have to send it back to the U.S. for repairs.
Guy: No, that's too expensive, I'll rather buy a new one.
Me: These things are expensive, I'm sure the repair will be a lot cheaper. How old is the unit ?
Guy: About 4 years. It's been in a flight school aircraft and has 1900 hours on it.
Me: That is very good going. If it is still working fine otherwise, why not send it back to the manufacturer for a good fix and cleanup ?

Guy: Maybe you're right, do you think I should claim warranty ?

Maybe you don't think that is funny, but my jaw dropped to the ground when I heard that...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Capetown

Hi Rainier,

Noticed your location as Somerset West, and I presume that is the suburb of Capetown. My wife and i will be travelling there in November/December, and wondered if you could recommend any aviation related activities? Apart from the Stellenbosch tours of course.

Best, Allan

Hi Rainier,

Noticed your location as Somerset West, and I presume that is the suburb of Capetown. My wife and i will be travelling there in November/December, and wondered if you could recommend any aviation related activities? Apart from the Stellenbosch tours of course.

Best, Allan

Yes, we're just to the east of Cape Town, nestled against the Helderberg mountain. Not really a suburb but part of the Cape Town metropolitan area.

What kind of activities do you have in mind ?
Hire and fly could be possible but you'd have to get your license validated, otherwise there are many flying clubs dotted around the country. Usually going there and chatting to the pilots (and wannabe pilots) will quickly get you a seat.
It's a great place to fly - plenty of wide open spaces with little in the way of airspace issues, mostly good weather and interesting landscapes of a great variety.

Rainier

That's funny--

We have guys that ask about "lifetime" warranties----I tell them, when it breaks, the lifetime is over, and so is the warranty!
Tom

I think XXX brand has a 2000 hr TBO, so, yup, the warranty applies! Prorated, of course.

Bob Kelly

Bob Nuckolls aero-electric warranty

I am paraphrasing one is one of the best I have seen. Bob guarantees that sooner or later any part purchased from him will fail. He encourages people to purchase from someone else if they have an application that is not "failure tolerant" so they need a "failure-proof" device. Furthermore he promises to refund the purchaser's money if upon receipt of the purchased part if that individual does not think it represents a fair value. A great way to address unrealistic expectations!

LarryT

Had a chap approach me yesterday at the flying club.

Guy: You make EFIS systems ?
Me: Maybe, sort of. (I tend to be carful as EFIS makers get asked to fix fridges around here).
Guy: Maybe you can advise me. I have a XXX. Does not work. What can I do ?
Me: What's the problem ?
Guy: The buttons are worn out, really have to press hard to do anything. Can you fix it ?
Me: No, it's an American product, I don't have the spares. I'm afraid you might have to send it back to the U.S. for repairs.
Guy: No, that's too expensive, I'll rather buy a new one.
Me: These things are expensive, I'm sure the repair will be a lot cheaper. How old is the unit ?
Guy: About 4 years. It's been in a flight school aircraft and has 1900 hours on it.
Me: That is very good going. If it is still working fine otherwise, why not send it back to the manufacturer for a good fix and cleanup ?

Guy: Maybe you're right, do you think I should claim warranty ?

Maybe you don't think that is funny, but my jaw dropped to the ground when I heard that...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics