Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
You know how you often see people posting about how you can sell a well built RV for about $20K more than the parts costs, and if you build it in 2,000 hours, that means you’re earning $10 per hour? Well I got to thinking today that those folks have it all wrong….consider an alternative point of view: It’s not about how much you could make, but about how much you enjoy the build!

If you don’t enjoy the building process, then it is work, and while you might expect to get paid for that work, I have to wonder what kind of masochist will go and drill holes in their own fingers for $10 per hour?! There are easier ways to earn more money! Ahh, you say, but there is the ENJOYMENT of it! Well…I agree 100%! Building isn’t a job….it’s recreation!

Now think about what people pay for recreation these days. Oh, not the simple, old-fashioned free kind – like fishing (oh, wait a minute – licenses, rods and reels, bait, boats, gas…), or walking in the woods (oh yeah….boots, clothes, collapsible hiking staffs – and don’t forget park entrance fees!), or…well, how about the COSTLY recreation – a daily ski lift ticket? I hate to ask! A round of golf at a respectable course? Heck, that’s a days pay for many! Going “camping” in a 4-wheeled RV? Price of the camper, gas, food… Hey, even staying home costs money when you consider the cost of a big-screen TV and a comfy chair!

So let’s say that you enjoy your building. Let’s also ignore the price of expensive things, like engines and avionics – most of your “enjoyment time” is going to come from working with the parts in Van’s kit anyway. Let’s then say you want to build an RV-3. No quick build option, no pre-drilling (hey, you’re lucky you don’t have to mine bauxite!), so lots of enjoyable build hours there. The current price for the kits? $12,530 – let’s call it 12.5K. Build time? Well, I did my QB -8 in 1,000 hours, but most people take at least twice that time, and those who want really fine airplanes take much more than that. So let’s say you knock out the -3 in 2,000 hours…..how does $6.25 per hour of recreation sound? Hmmm….I bet that’s cheaper than skiing or golf. More expensive than cane-pole fishing on a creek, but hey, you’ve got to get access to the creek!)

All in all, airplane building is a wonderful pastime. (It might even be cheaper per hour than building models, judging by the number of cashed models I see in serious R/C’ers workshops!). When you’re done, you have paid for the parts required for your pastime, but how is that different from any arts and crafts materials? (Hey, I almost forgot gardening – now THAT is expensive that way I do it - buying those plants over and over again costs …..!) In the end, enjoy the time in your shop, and chalk up the materials cost to recreation – even if you DO make ‘em and sell ‘em…that way, you get paid twice!:D

Paul

(The preceding was a humorous post with a grain of truth....and is intended for the entertainment of the reader. Any attempt to reconcile the numbers with actual dollars or time spent may result in disappointment or possible depression. Dizziness may be the result of leaving your MEK can open. See your Tech Counselor if symptoms persist.)

Last edited:
Try recovering your cost of a new $70-80K car you buy. At least the RV holds its value. But then again you don't have to rent a $400/mo garage to park the car in :rolleyes: I've long since given up trying to justify this passion.

Addendum.....

Oh yes, of course, I forgot to point out that, as Scorch likes to say, the airplane is free....becasue you can pretty much always get your money back out of it.....:)

yea!!

Spin the numbers all you like, it will never make any sense!! When asked how to justify the RV experience, my wife's reply is "it's a thing" She may have hit the nail on the head.

Regards...Chris

You see, I saved money by building an airplane. I sold some stock in about 2000 to pay for instruments, engine, etc. The next year, the stock crashed, but my money was safely tied up in hardware in the garage.

Think of the trauma I avoided...:eek:

therapy........I tell people,

Yes,

For sure!

I just spend six weeks grounded with no RV-8 project going and felt like life was changing and not for the better. Got the 7 flying again and my clock was re wound.

It is therapy. A pile of money (spent on the effort) instead of the airplane would be very depressing.

Priceless

This morning's flight was priceless - courtesy of my RV.
My daughter and I were wheels up by 8:45, encountered a headwind which kept us to 120 kts g/s at 2300rpm on our way to LZU just east of Atlanta for the EAA breakfast, but the weather was perfect so no big deal.

((it was freakin awesome!!
verry yummy[:
teehee
loveyou daddy! :D
by: diana))

The smell of cooking sausage greeted us before we could climb out and a delicious breakfast for the two of us cost 7 bucks. We talked RVs with some great folks, then set sail for home in the clear blue. Turning on course we were rewarded for "suffering" through the headwinds on the way up. At 2300 we were at 160kts g/s, YEAH! and I could have gone much faster if I wanted.

I can only put a dollar amount on what I spent to build my plane, but the memories of this past year and a half with my -9 are priceless indeed.

Only build a plane for the joy of the build. If it flies its a bonus. If you dont enjoy the build ,save yourself a lot of stress and buy a flying plane .
I would go out on a limb to say that the vast majority of flying planes were built as Paul said "for cheap recreation". The dusty unfinished ones were a means to a end.

I have 3 holes in various fingers and nails, they hurt like **** at the time but now I look back at them as a badge of honour !

We are building our RV7 because we want to build a RV7. Both my Bro and I have aeroplanes we fly, he has a P#per Cub, I have a Citabria, a much better and more capable machine :rolleyes:

We get asked frequently by folks about to start a project - the first question we ask is why do you want to build an aeroplane ?

If the answer is because I want to fly one, we always say - get a bank loan, buy one, fly it, build one later.

If the answer is because I want to build an aeroplane, they join the Christmas Card list and are probably still friends :D

The evalution of math

Teaching Math In 1950
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teaching Math In 1960
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teaching Math In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.
Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2007
Un ranchero vende una carretera de madera para $100. El cuesto de la produccion era $80.
Cuantos tortillas se puede comprar?

:D

How much do airplanes cost?

I really can't answer that one. My Cessna 140 was purchased for 3K back in 1972. It was sold in 1975 for 4.5K. Then in late 1975 I bought the Yankee for 5K, and sold it in 2000 for 25K. Built a Pitts S1S in 1981-1983 for around 12K, and sold it in 1986 for 20K. I bought a Christen Eagle ll in 1989 for 48K, and sold it in 2000 for 75K. I bought a Piper J-3 in 1991 for 16K, then sold it in 2000 for 20K.

I completed the Doll in 2000 with around 52K invested, then upgraded the engine, autopilot, and instruments. I now have around 70K invested, but have turned down a couple of unsolicited offers for 100K. Bought a hanger for most of the above in 1984 for 12K which is now worth around 40K.

I don't really believe these assets have cost me that much. If the money had been successfully invested in the market, It might be worth more???? I just don't know. What I do know, is I haven't even tried to justify any of it. They have all been more than just investments or possessions, they have been my life!

Last edited:
Cost of building...

The RV4, if very well built, will just about break even on the market. The 8 with its improved ergonomics might even make a little. 6's and 7's do a little better than the tandem configurations, IMO.

But that's hardly the point to this crowd... what's the feeling worth of rising up off this earth in a machine crafted with your own two hands? What's a sunrise 4-ship formation with friends going to a breakfast fly-in worth? What's it worth to be able to dream - design - build? What's the sight of your brand new airplane sitting pretty at OSH worth?

Pardon me for waxing eloquent, but this is the market that Van has tapped into. And I think its just getting started...

Bill

What is the feeling of accomplishment worth?

To know that every bolt, every rivet, every bend that shaped this incredible machine that carries you skyward was crafted by your own hand.

This is a "hobby" borne of bold dreams.

"Strangely enough, they have a mind to till the soil, and the love of possessions is a disease in them."
Sitting Bull

As it is buying a house, it is simply wrong to pursue an airplane project with an eye towards monetary profit. Just as one has to LIVE...a house is meant to provide that refuge and in doing so, becomes our HOME. For those born to FLY, an airplane provides the means and thus becomes an extraordinary extension of a higher perspective. Forget the *promise* of monetary gain, run from it. There are far greater rewards to be had and money must be used as a tool....the common medium of transaction known to be freely accepted by lessor earthbound souls blindly grounded by the *promise* of mere possession.

Last edited:
Gary Bricker

Mel, this stuff would be good food for thought for your forum @ SWRFI. ( SO YOU WANT TO BUILD A AIRPLANE)

Ancient IAC proverb...

An old wise aerobatic dude once told me

"You can sleep in your airplane but you can't snap-roll your house."

Makes perfect sense.