GrinchF16

Well Known Member
The sister of one of the. pilots at our airport has cancer and we are doing a fundraiser for her. Can I auction off a flight in my RV7? If so, any gotchas?

My son is Commercial/CFI rated and has a LODA for the airplane if that matters.

Thanks all.

As long as you aren't being compensated ... I can't imagine anyone giving you grief over helping her.

RV-7 flight auction

Hate to spoil the parade but I don’t think you can legally do that with an experimental. That would be considered “compensation” or “for hire” which doesn’t fall into the legal use of an experimental. I could be mistaken and overuled by someone smarter than me (which there are a lot of) but I don’t think that’s legal.

Even though you aren’t getting paid, someone is getting paid for the use of an experimental.

Maybe there’s some kind of exception for donation or charity. I hope I am totally wrong and you can find a way cause that’s a good cause.

Last edited:
You can possibly do it in an RV, but there are all kinds of hoops to be jumped through, even if it was certified. Sorry, I don’t have a reference. Are you an AOPA member?

Ed

I once donated a flight in my Bonanza for a charity auction.

After thinking about it, I didn't like the possibility of a 300+ pound person grabbing the door as a hand hold while getting in, bending it, making the airplane unairworthy.
Or a passenger getting airsick and making a stinky mess inside the airplane.
Or several other possible negative outcomes.

I attended the auction, and bid on my own flight. The charity still got the donation, and no worries about a non-aviator not knowing how to act around airplanes.

I've decided that if I'm asked again to donate a flight, I will pay my local FBO their going rate for a charter sightseeing flight.

They have instructor pilots used to dealing with passengers unfamiliar with airplanes..

Sorry to say but you can’t give a ride in an experimental. And get a monetary enumeration of any kind.
That said you can give ride’s to anyone you like. Key word give. ) ; donate is a no no. Wish it wasn’t that way but the FAA gets it there way. Perhaps you can get a LETTER of deviation for it just that one time. Just be ready to have to jump through a lot of hoops.

RD