Noah

Well Known Member
All RV Wannabees and Newbies want to know how long it takes to build an RV. But that’s a loaded question which is not answered easily. What they need is an estimating tool. Here is my cut at it, feel free to add your own thoughts and argue these numbers – this is just a starting point.

Start with 2500 hours.

If you are an engineer, add 300 hours:rolleyes:
If someone called you anal once, add 200 hours –or- if people often call you anal, add 400 hours -or- if people frequently say you’re the most anal person they know, add 800 hours:eek:
If you are an A&P or I/A, subtract 250 hours
If you already built an RV before, subtract 250 hours, or if you already built a composite airplane, subtract 150 hours:cool:
If you built RC model airplanes as a kid, subtract 100 hours
If you often frequent VAF’s forums, subtract 150 hours;)
If you live at a fly-in community with lots of other RV builders nearby, subtract 250 hours:cool:
If you are building at a distant hangar, add 150 hours
If you are building at your house, subtract 100 hours:)
If you are passionate about tools, love tools, and own a lot of tools, subtract 100 hours:D
If you do your own plumbing and electrical work in your home, subtract 100 hours
If you are in an EAA chapter, subtract 50 hours
If you have a quickbuild wing, subtract 150 hours
If you have a quickbuild fuselage, subtract 200 hours
If you have an older, non-prepunched kit, add 500 hours:(
If you have access to a (same model) completed RV within 30 minutes of you, subtract 100 hours
If there are no completed RVs within 30 minutes of you, add 150 hours
If you frequently only work on the project 10 hours a month or less, add 250 hours
If you are building your own engine from a kit, add 150 hours if it’s your first one. Add 100 hours if you have assembled an engine before.
If you are overhauling an old engine, add 400 hours if it’s your first one. Add 200 hours if you have done an engine before.
If you built or repaired a fiberglass boat, subtract 50 hours
If you are modifying the standard kit, add 50 hrs per mod:(
If you are building your own panel, add 100 hours per $10,000 you are planning to spend
If you are painting it yourself, add 250 hours
If you like to start stupid threads like this, add 50 hours:rolleyes:

This is meant to be fun, but it can also be useful. It might be interesting to see how accurate it is for people who are finished building.

Noah...

I suspect it is very accurate ;)

But you missed:
If you log the hours you take, add 100 hours :eek:

The most pertinent of yours is:
If you are modifying the standard kit, add 50 hrs per mod :(

Andy
RV-8 G-HILZ

I would say that if you are an Engineer, it will make you anal, so I would add on (and I say this from experience) at least 500 Hrs:D

I would say that if you are an Engineer, it will make you anal, so I would add on (and I say this from experience) at least 500 Hrs:D

AGREE!

Another I would add is:
If you are at an airport with a bunch of experienced avaition "experts" that do not have a project of their own add 200 hours (100 for the time BSing and 100 for the changes you will make due to their advise)

1750 for me. Looks like I am not even half way there. You need to add "if you ever assembled your kids Christmas present without using the instructions, add 250" and "If you read all the instructions, add 350"

If you have an older, non-prepunched kit, add 500 hours

Probably right. There is a reason I am not logging my hours. I really don't want to know...

According to the formula I should take ~2,300 hours, not accounting for engine or panel uppers/downers since I don't know enough to calculate that yet.

Probably right.

Last edited:
You missed...

If you taxi into a trailer, add 300 hours.

Your numbers look about right based on my build times.

AGREE!

Another I would add is:
If you are at an airport with a bunch of experienced avaition "experts" that do not have a project of their own add 200 hours (100 for the time BSing and 100 for the changes you will make due to their advise)
Boy that is the truth! And funny too!