BradC

What experience do you all have with fully developed spins in an RV8. I have researched this issue and not come up with any definative answers. It seems that people have spun their 8 but I have yet to read of any spin testing involving fully deveoped spins.
From what I have read spins in an 8 can be aggressive, if not so aggressive as to be disorienting but I would be interested in knowing how far the envolope has been tested in this regime.
Thanks for your input.

Brad

Spins RV8

In the UK the Private Flying Association (PFA) who oversee the approval of homebuilt aircraft required the RV8 to go through a series of spin tests before they would allow it to be cleared for aerobatics.

These tests had to be carried out by experienced pilots and at different weights and C of G positions.

Stan Hodgkins the owner and builder of RV8 G-DUDE and a retired RAF test pilot as well as another I believe ex RAF pilot carried out the necessary spin tests. From what I read on a brief report on the UK Vans forum, between them they did something like 100 different spins.

Everything seems to have been ok as following their findings and report the RV8 is now cleared for aerobatics in the UK.

Hmm, interesting. The implication here is that it's OK to spin your -8 with a pax as long as you are within aerobatic CG limits - something I notice most RV8 pilots are very reluctant to contemplate. Any comments?

Regards, Adrian

RV8 weight and balance

Here is info from the http://www.PFA.org.uk website:
PFA said:
Intentional spinning is permitted not exceeding two turns.
Loading Limitations
Maximum Total Weight Authorised: 817 kg (1800 lb)
Maximum Aerobatic Weight Authorised: 703 kg (1550 lb)
CG Range: Limits 78.7 inches to 86.82 inches aft of datum point.
CG Range For Aerobatics and Spinning: 78.7 inches to 85.3 inches aft of datum.
A few minutes at Dan's http://www.rvproject.com/wab/ will tell you that you and your passenger will have to be very light to squeeze into these weight and balance limitations.

Of course, it's possible that your RV8 will recover nicely from spins even outside this range. I think I'll probably just take up our flying club's B?cker Jungmann when I want do serious spins! :)