N925JL

Patron
I have fuel weeping around the screws that my fuel sender is mounted to. The fuel weeps at a rate that does not drip because it evaporates faster than it weeps.

I am weighing the options of taking out the screws and dipping them in either proseal or fuel lube. I am wondering if fuel lube is appropriate and effective for this application. I know proseal would work, but don't like the irreversible nature of using a permanent selant on a removable fastener.

Your thoughts please.

Jerry Ludwig
RV-6 N925JL
SN 22439
First flew 05/20/2005

Removing pro-seal is not a problem. I've changed several plates that were pro-sealed. I suggest you use internal hex (Allen head) screws.

Both of my fuel tanks were weeping around fuel gauge unit (the one with 5 screws) just about the same rate as yours or less. I would only see the blue stain. I tighten the screws just a bit more and have not seen the stain since. Its been around 8 months and 100 hours roughly.

I have the same problem, other local builders suggested just dabbing pro-seal on and around the heads of the weeping bolts. Proseal will seal on the outside of the tank just as well as the inside, if it is just a weep that should be enough to seal it off. Next annual for me.

identical issue at 80 hrs.

I took out the screws and dipped in Seal-All, the old standby honey coloured goop, and re-installed. It solved the seeping around the screw head, but now the blue stains have appeared around the perimeter of the cork gasket.

Seem inevitable that all these tank sender plate leaks eventually have to be redone with proseal, or new gaskets of some other material. I plan to use a composite gasket and Permatex aviation form-a-gasket. None of the other automotive compounds say they are 'fuel-proof'.

Fuel Weep

I have had the same problem on my left tank. I originally used fuel lube and it passed the "air" leak test but when I filled it up with fuel, I too had the weep on three of the bottom screws. I also was concerned with not being able to remove very easily using pro-seal.

So, I borrowed some pro-seal, removed the phillips screws without removing the tank and with the gasket, pro-sealed everything. I purchased some socket screws from ACS and installed those. I have only put six gallons in the tank and no weep yet. Will install more fuel over the next few days.

My right tank had a VERY SLOW weep on toe bottom screws. I was able to tightened the screws and with a full tank it does not seem to weep any more. I will keep an eye on that tank.