lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm very tired to study a solution (and scraping alu tube) for putting a well bent tube into my gear tunnels and have a nice fuel vent line; have a suggest or a photo that can help me ?

Thanks in advance

One method to try

Luca;
What I did what to use a scrap piece of soft aluminum tubing to bend an 'approximate' vent line. I inserted this in the top gear tower hole and bent it to fit with several (many?) tries. Some bends could be made inside the tower, but most had to be outside and done on trial & error. I used this soft tube as the model for the real thing. Some minor bending of the real one still had to be done, but wasn't a problem. It does take some wiggle, swearing and manuvering to get the vent lines in, but they do go. Repeat the process for the other side as it will be a mirror image.

One other thought; as you get ready to mount the vent line, give consideration to the location of the throttle, mixture and prop cables and the fuel filter mount if you have one there - as well as any other things you may want to put in the tower (I have a push - pull cable to open and close the vent running in this area). By planning the vent line attachment screws, you'll avoid interference later.

Good luck,

I just made a nicely formed vent line and then just sort of forced it through the bottom gear tower lightening hole. I had to overbend the part that goes to the fitting and make a bananna out of the main runs. I figured this would just destroy the part but hey it's just a piece of tube. Turns out you can straighten it all back out inside the tower and it fits just fine. I went slowly and nothing kinked at all so I doubt anyone would be the wiser.

I am getting sort of frusturated at putting my arms in the lightening holes so I'm researching the gear tower mods I've seen people do where they put a big cover over the length and cut the webs out in between the lightening holes.

I am getting sort of frusturated at putting my arms in the lightening holes so I'm researching the gear tower mods I've seen people do where they put a big cover over the length and cut the webs out in between the lightening holes.

I'm hearing you buddy! I wanted to keep mine per spec until I started actually trying to work in there! The dremel came out faster than you could say boo, and I whipped out the webs between each hole. A couple of cover plates and some (lots!) nutplates later, eh voila! Do it; you'll be mightly glad you did :) Of course, now I have to work out what to do about the brake lines which are supposed to run through that top hole; but HEY, I'm building a plane here; how hard can it be?!!! :D