yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Installed the fuel tank vent while adding the additional internal structure a couple of weeks ago. As I interpreted the instructions, the scarfed edge should face forward. Just saw another local -12 today who had the scarfed face toward the rear. Their reasoning was the same as mine was originally-- the forward-facing scarf would pressurize the tank. But then I decided that was the purpose of the small "air line" attached to the vent line. Scott, can you give a definitive answer-- should the "open _ edge of the vent face forward (into the airstream) or aft.

THANKS!

Wayne 120241/143WM

PS Installed the RV-7 Aileron trim and it seems to be working but the photos I shot are lousy. After more testing I'll post the best of them and a description if it's working OK.

The scarf should face forward. If it faces backward, it will induce a vacuum in the tank. You want the tank lightly pressurized.

Forward or back

Its a fair question as the KAI were not entirely clear on this point. I actually fabricated & assembled the vent lines myself just yesterday and there is just one picture that suggested the forward orientation. Second guessed myself until the positive pressure feature confirmed it.

Dumb Question - KAI

Its a fair question as the KAI were not entirely clear on this point.

Thread drift .... I've seen many references to "the KAI" and I must admit that I have no idea what the KAI is or what the abbreviation means. :confused:

Please enlighten me. Thanks

Previous KAI Correct

And the scarf was forward on the vent of my RV6 and never had an issue, but always wondered. Thanks for the reason!