Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, here's a puzzle for the creative thinkers. When we took Louise's airplane apart for the panel upgrade, we took the fuel valve handle off. This is RV-6, kit number 4, and the valve appears to be original - working fine, and I don't really want to change it (although I do have a brand new one in the box that came with my -8....I went with an Andair). As part of the upgrade, I bought one of the cool red handles so that I would no longer be confused by the HANDLE of the valve pointing at the tank in use (instead of the pointer end, as Orville and Wilbur intended!). I figured it would be easy - the instructions with the new handle are very clear how to identify which side the set screw goes in, based on the handle you have.

Now, the puzzle. The new, unused valve from Vans (about 3 years old) has a circular stem with one flat. The old, old valve has a circular stem - but the top is square. the handle can go on any which way! And we THINK that when we took it apart, we had it on the right tank - but I might have moved it. So....creative types....without a handle, and without burning five gallons of fuel to see which tank goes down, how do I figure out the position of the valve?

(There is probably an easy solution, but I have been on console two or threes midnight shifts in a row, and at meetings during the day, and I'm too tired to figure it out! :eek:)

Blow some air backwards through the valve from the firewall side and listen to see which tank bubbles.

Grind off the pointer

Clever idea, to blow some air through it.

The cool red pointer handle is a good solution to the pointer confusion. But if you ask me, VAN's ought to add this line to instructions:

"In order to eliminate any confusion over which tank the handle it pointing to, use your grinding wheel to grind off that silly little pointer from the handle and then install it so that the handle itself points to the correct tank. "

"Lazy" is sitting in front of the computer, trying to find an excuse for avoiding doing what you know needs to be done.

Which is, uhhmmm, exactly what I'm doing right now.:rolleyes:

Try this...

Paul,

Take off both tank caps. Securely tape a piece of plastic wrap over each one, leaving airspace but making sure there is a good seal. Plug/cover/seal both tank vents temporarily.

Run your fuel pump to see which tank is having fuel sucked out; it will take up the airspace you've provided with the plastic wrap on the side that is chosen.

Be sure to unplug the vents when you remove the plastic and recap the tanks.

Jon,

My RV-7 DWG 36 from 12/2000 has the notation "Grind pointer off the handle. The handle itself is used as the pointer." and an arrow pointing to the location of the ground off pointer on the handle.

BTW for those that aren't using manual trim, flip the Valve Plate over and when you cut/grind off the tab leave a little that will cover the lower housing. This way there won't be a gap. The reorientation of the valve is no big deal, just move the plug to the opposite side.

George

Last edited:
"Lazy" is sitting in front of the computer, trying to find an excuse for avoiding doing what you know needs to be done.
I guess this is pretty common when building. Trying to find answer how to do something easier and more simpler rather than just doing it.