liaviator

I'm New Here
All,

I came across something new today - an iOS app that allows you to (closely) monitor fuel in aircraft like ours, with two tanks. You can find the app here: http://bit.ly/oBAYbA

I've always wondered exactly how much fuel I have in each tank. Yeah, yeah, I do the math on pen and paper, and I use my GPS for switching tanks, but this app goes way beyond.

You can set various alarms (low fuel, low total time remaining, etc), various timers (say you want to fly 30 minutes out, then switch every hour...you can do that...), and is accurate to a tenth of a gallon (you set fuel flows for each phase of flight).

Anyway - it's good. I'd maybe change a few small user interface items, but it's way better than what I'm used to doing, and I think a good safety improvement.

Does anyone else know of any others like this?

James

I found that App earlier this month, and have been using it ever since. I've done 4 cross countries with it, and it's a lot more accurate than I thought it was going to be. I agree that there could be some user interface improvements on the setup screens, but overall it works great. The switch tanks reminders are really helpful, and I like how it tells you how long until it is time to switch again. I don't know if you noticed this, but if you press the small clock in the center of the screen it switchs to digital format, and tells you more precisly the time remaining until the next tank switch.

Switch Tanks Timer

Yeah, I did notice that. Also, if you tap and hold the tank you are running from it automatically switches tanks, rather than having to tap the alternate tank then tap and hold the original tank.

Also - and this I think is a big difference from other apps I've seen - you can setup an initial and recurring timer. So, if you want to fly out for 30 minutes, then switch tanks ever 1 hour, you can do that. Neither my JPI nor my cooking timer does that.

I wonder what other features they will add? I like that it's not a subscription - just a one-time download cost.