dicel87

Well Known Member
As I continue to "lurk" around this great forum and dream of building a plane, it seems that there are always lots of questions/concerns about constructing the fuel tanks.

So after looking at the pictures of the RANS S-19 one night (from the RV-12 discussion thread) I wondered why is it that the RV series would not have a ready built fuel cell that is dropped into the wing tank as well? Too much modification of wing ribs? Capacity? Reliability? LSA vs non-LSA issue?

thanks for a great source of info!

Scott

If you want to end up being able to consider yourself a "real" builder you must make the tanks. Using Proseal is a "character building" exercise. :rolleyes:

Fin
9A Australia

Van's answer might be weight. Probably cost too. A drop in fuel tank mounted inside the wing has to weigh more than Van's approach, which is simply sealing off the wing structure and filling it with fuel.

I'd estimate at least a 10 lb weight savings from Van's method. Getting a 10 pound weight savings is a big deal.

The (partial) wet wing design is very efficient

It's a very efficient design. Most people building an RV would rather work through the learning experience and not compromise the "Total Performance" objective promised by Van's Aircraft. Quickbuilt kits have the tank structure completed so it is really easy to install a few items and close them - leaks still occur but usually they are not to hard to deal with.

Bob Axsom

Thanks for the expert feedback. Guess this falls under the "Don't mess with a proven design" category of questions! :eek: