Blowfly

I am about to plumb the fuel tank vent lines on my RV4 project and have become aware of the many threads discussing the "coiled vent line" as an alternate to the Vans design (running them into and up/down the inside of the fuse).

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts from those that may have employed coiled vent lines on their RV4s as I am unsure as to whether this is a commonly used technique.

Thank you in advance for any replies, thoughts or advice.

Darren

I did just that. Came out of the tank vent fitting, made one coil of tubing between the wing root and fuselage, then went into the fuselage below the floorboards and out the bottom skin. I used AN fittings when passing through the skins. Works good!

Thanks John.
Sounds like it worked well for you.
Do you know if this is a common or well established method of plumbing the vent lines in a 4? I am not familiar with other models and would like to know if this is standard practice with RV fuel tanks.
Cheers,
Darren

Someone else will have to answer that. It seemed like a good way to vent the tanks and I think it's been done that way by many others.

link did not work

Trying to show pic of coiled vent lines. Photo is from "f1rocket" not rocket1.
The link does not work but here is how to get there. Search on "vent rocket".
Go to the bottom of the page and you will see a post "Merits of the Rocket style fuel vent" It's the only post with the word "Merits" Click on that. Go to the
second post by rv8ch. Click on the link. The referenced photo should appear.
If a moderator can fix the broken link in first post, that would be just fine.

Here's the pic I think BB is referring to:
Rigging164.jpg

edit: I've refitted coiled vents to mine but they still use the old vent fitting in the bottom of the fuse. They're a pain to hook up so I expect I'll redo the vent fitting as pictured.

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture and links Mark.
As usual, all the information needed can be found in these forums.
Thanks again to all of you out there who make building a truly educational experience.
Cheers.
Darren.