jdmunzell

Well Known Member
Hi all. I ordered and received a standard fuel suction tube for installation in my left fuel tank (RV-8). When I attach it, it sits about 1/2 inch up off the bottom of the tank.

One thought is to bend it down slightly to get it to lie flat on the bottom so as to be able to get all the fuel available from that tank. The other option is to leave it alone and be satisfied with "unusable" fuel that might be contaminated with water.

What does everyone else do?

Bend it down!

The drain is there to get rid of contaminates and water.
Fuel below the pickup is useless.

Hi all. I ordered and received a standard fuel suction tube for installation in my left fuel tank (RV-8). When I attach it, it sits about 1/2 inch up off the bottom of the tank.

One thought is to bend it down slightly to get it to lie flat on the bottom so as to be able to get all the fuel available from that tank. The other option is to leave it alone and be satisfied with "unusable" fuel that might be contaminated with water.

What does everyone else do?

And don't forget to tie it on... :eek: Really, I would need to get out of the plane, stretch and *@!$ long before my tanks hit this point of no return. :D

And don't forget to tie it on... :eek: Really, I would need to get out of the plane, stretch and *@!$ long before my tanks hit this point of no return. :D

By tie it on, are you referring to the service bulletin that calls for safetying the attach nut , so the whole tube doesn't fall off? Got that one covered.

...except how does one go about drilling a hole at an angle in this nut so as to be able to run safety wire through there?

By tie it on, are you referring to the service bulletin that calls for safetying the attach nut , so the whole tube doesn't fall off? Got that one covered.

...except how does one go about drilling a hole at an angle in this nut so as to be able to run safety wire through there?

Clamped mine in a hold block and used a drill press...