Status
Not open for further replies.

rswalden

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone know the NAS shear bolt equivalent for the two RV-12 fuel tank attach shear bolts? Van's part number is non-standard. We have an Aircraft Spruce store right at our airport that stocks just about everything but need to know the NAS code.

Thanks in advance...

Does anyone know the NAS shear bolt equivalent for the two RV-12 fuel tank attach shear bolts? Van's part number is non-standard. We have an Aircraft Spruce store right at our airport that stocks just about everything but need to know the NAS code.

Thanks in advance...

This is not a standard bolt. That is why it has a Vans part number and not a standard hardware part #.

It is specially modified to act as a frangible bolt.

It should Not be replaced with a standard bolt.

Of course, not. I specifically asked for the NAS SHEAR BOLT equivalent.

And I tried to explain that there is no other equivalent to this part, NAS or otherwise.
The part sold by Van's under the part # listed in the KAI is a specially manufactured/modified bolt, and is the only bolt that should be used.

A shear bolt is designed to ACCEPT shear loads. A frangible bolt is designed to BREAK under a given load.

A shear bolt is designed to ACCEPT shear loads. A frangible bolt is designed to BREAK under a given load.

Correct.
And in this case a standard bolt is modified so that it does both.
It still will take close to standard shear loads, but by design will fail at a lower than normal tension load.

My mistake. You are correct, the BOLT-0002 is a frangible bolt, not a shear bolt. I suspect that Van's modifies a standard AN3-7 bolt in-house to their own specs for the fuel tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.