pblake

It seemed to me that the fuel tank service bulletin issued by Van's was precipitous, and not well thought through. In many ways, the cure seemed worse than the disease, for example, working on and opening an empty fuel tank filled with gasoline fumes, or leaving remnants of proseal in the tank from removing a prosealed flop-tube. Here's the letter I sent to Van about it:

Dear Van,

I was very surprised and disappointed on seeing your Mandatory Service Bulletin requiring fuel tank changes. In my case, I have capacitive probes for fuel quantity measurement, and no inspection plate to remove. Even if I did have plates, there?s less than a 2? gap between the wing skins and fuselage of my RV6. I won?t whine about tearing up very expensive paint, or removing the wings to get at the tank, or even that this may cause an insurance problem if I fail to do it. Instead, I question your logic and your process of issuing this bulletin.

I?m wondering why you didn?t at least have a comment period so you could gather input from the fleet, before issuing this bulletin. The FAA finds public comment useful; I?m surprised you don?t as well.

I have heard of two incidents involving ?alleged? (your term) fuel pick-up tube problems. In one, there was plenty of warning that something was amiss, yet the plane was flown anyway (rather than ground tested), without determining and rectifying root cause. Even then, it seems that simply switching tanks would have prevented the accident. In the second instance, switching tanks would have prevented the accident as well. How many times have we heard of fuel starvation accidents where the pilot failed to switch tanks, even though plenty of fuel was available in the other? It seems to me that pilot error was a major contributing factor in these accidents. Perhaps an article on the importance of proper emergency procedures for engine-out emergencies would have been appropriate, since that would address prevention of such fuel starvation accidents.

Given a fleet of approximately 4500 aircraft, 2 incidents (both of which could have been prevented by appropriate pilot action) represents an accident rate of 0.044 %. This level of risk doesn?t seem sufficient to warrant the draconian nature of your service bulletin ? especially unilaterally, without comment.

Further, it seems to me that a vanishingly small probability exists that one tank would be dry while the fuel pick-up tube malfunctioned in the other, or that both tubes malfunctioned at the same time. These seem to me to be the only conditions under which an engine stoppage due to fuel pick-up tube malfunction could not be rectified by appropriate pilot action e.g., switching tanks.

Many will say that you did this to protect yourself from liability ? a completely understandable motive. It seems to me however, that mandating the opening of 9000 fuel tanks by amateurs, drilling of holes in sensitive areas, resealing etc. (and in the case of those of us with capacitance senders and no removable end plate, creating and sealing a large hole), not to mention the obvious danger of fire when working around aviation gasoline and fumes, is a case of the cure being worse than the disease. It seems to me that you expose your company to much more liability in the case of accidents that will be construed as directly or indirectly caused by or related to these ?repairs.?

It seems to me that a more rational approach would be to mandate a bore scope inspection of the fuel pick-up tubes, which could be accomplished with minimum fuss through the fuel drain plug hole. This would identify any problems, go a long way toward protecting you from fuel pick-up tube liability, and avoid entirely the liability of causing 9000 fuel tanks to be drained (and not flushed with water), opened, modified and reclosed.

I encourage you to consider all the ramifications of your actions, first and foremost with regard to safety. Secondly, with regard to the thousands of hours (and dollars) required for fleet compliance, and thirdly, with regard to your reputation for pragmatism, concern for costs, and generally doing the right thing.

Please rescind this bulletin, and issue another, more appropriate to the actual risk-benefit relationships in this issue.

Sincerely,

Peter Blake
Technical Councilor
RV6

Hello, Peter.

I see this is your first post in the forums. I appreciate and respect your viewpoint, but I agree with Van's judgement on this.

I have no problem inspecting my fuel tanks as asked by Vans and wholeheartedly agree with their looking out for their own interests (and my hide).

Best,
Doug

Who flew last weekend?

Show of hands? Mine is up!

How many of those with their hands up had already complied - to the letter - with Van's bulletin? Ah....I see...just as I suspected. That does not mean that we are reckless or careless. It also doesn't mean that we don't intend to comply with the intent of the bulletin. (To comply with the Letter of the bulletin, the airplane must be grounded until performed...) We are simply using our judgement and taking responsibility for it.

I know that I have Pro-seal on the joints, and it was done very recently. I am not legally obligated to open the tanks before further flight, and I am comfortable that there are enough safe-guards in place to prevent a catastrophic problem in the near future. And at my next condition inspection, or next time it is convenient, I might just open things up and modify the fitting. But until then, I will fly with my Pro-seal - using my own judgement and taking full responsibility for it - and wait to see what people write about their experiences complying with the inspection and modification. I expect that we'll hear some good stories, and if we starting hearing from people who say "I opened them up, and sure enough, they were loose!", then I might take action sooner.

Van is not responsible for your aircraft, and neither is your insurance company. Use your judgement, make your decision, and stand up for it.

Paul

Bombs

In the post that started this thread, Peter mentioned the risk of working on a tank that has fuel fumes in it.

The proper way to work on any tank that has ever held fuel is to either test it with a "sniffer" --which most of us dont have-- to determine if flamable vapors still exist, or to purge it with a non-flamable gass such a Co2, argon, Halon etc.

In another thread on this tank thing, someone mentioned cutting a slot in the head of a stripped phillips screw----------common practice, with a Dremel and a cut off wheel.

In the fire business, this is known as an "Ignition source".

For those of you who plan to do the S/B mod, I caution you to take approiate fire precautions.

Paul, time to chime in here.

Mike S
Fire Captain, thankfully retired.

I agree with Mike...

If there are ANY fuel fumes around, be incredibly careful about providing an ignition source. I am not one of those folks who worry about cell phones at the gas pump, but I always ground myself before touching the fuel nozzle (just to calibrate you on my "worry level").

People do work on tanks all the time - and I can tell you that in my community of 4,000 people, we generally have one guy catch his car on fire working on a gas tank about ever few years. It happens - suddenly, and when your guard is down.

Paul

Tanks Modification Experience

Paul,
You said you would stand by for the inputs from others to see what happens if they choose to comply, so I thought I would write to share.
First, I am also an aerospace engineer (F-22 and F-35)...who chose to fly this past weekend. (It was just too gorgeous after a 2.5 week run of bad weather) My experience has been that it is often safe and acceptable to fly even with degraded systems and/or structure, as long as the resulting limitations are clearly defined and understood by the pilot. In this particular case, it seems reasonable that even in the worst case scenario (feed tubes had fallen off), safe operation could be maintained as long as the tanks were fairly full. Hence, my flight Sunday with the new understanding of what the acceptable minimum fuel state could be.
Okay, having said all that, my anal retentive side prevailed after I returned from flying Sunday. I decided to see just how hard the repair was. I have one tank with a flop tube and one without on my RV-4. The proposed modification is much simpler for the non-flop tube side since the access is better, and it does not require breaking a proseal bond to remove the tube. So I worked on the standard tank. First I had to cut away a coating of proseal that I had smeared on top of all the screw heads on the access cover. The work space between the fuselage and wing is limited, so this took about 1 hour. Next the sender was removed using a craftsman ratcheting 90 deg screwdriver. The seal on the rubber gasket was easily broken, and after considerable wrangling, I was able to work the sender out through the limited space. To do this, I had to disconnect and remove the vent line, and pull the fuel feed line into the fuselage to get it out of the way. (This meant removing the floorboards, and disconnecting the feeder tube all the way back to the selector valve.) Next the access plate itself was removed. It was surprisingly easy to get the seal broken and remove the plate (I belong to the ?did not proseal the plate on? camp. I had only a cork gasket) Once removed, I inspected the fuel tube to see if it was loose. It was not. Furthermore, I forgot that I did this, but I had applied proseal to the threads of the B nut, so it was in pretty good shape. Since it was already apart, I went ahead and drilled the nut and safety wired it. I then reassembled, and added fuel. There were no immediate leaks, but I halfway expect to see some weeping when I get back out to the hanger next weekend.
At any rate, the whole effort for this one tank, including defueling the tank and cutting off the proseal on the screw heads took about 5 hours. I have not yet reinstalled the root fairing and floorboards since I am waiting to see if I have any minor leaks.
After reminding myself that I prosealed my tubes, I will probably not do the mod on the flop tube side. Instead I will probably enter a handbook note addressing proper operating procedures??at least that?s what I say tonight?..If I get bored and it is rainy, I may just go for it some weekend.
Good luck.

Great Post Andy!

I think that is an excellent post Andy, and one that lays out a lot of actual data. Data is what people need to make decisions, and we all want to make good ones.

Personally, as I have said several times, I will probably plan a convenient time to do the modification, once I have let enough people perfect the techniques and share them with us all.

Paul