DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I seem to be unable to get the connection of the hose between the tank fitting and the filler neck to not leak regardless of how tight I make the clamps. I suppose in final configuration I could use some sealant, has anyone else had this problem?

Had no problem with this Don. Considering the fact there is no pressure on the hose coupling other than sloshing fuel a leak here should be unlikely. Suspect you have already checked, but can't think of any reason other than an out of round condition on the tubing, or a serious nick or dent on the face of it. Really strange. Is the hose cracked or cut by any chance? Have you looked at the alignment of the upper and lower tube sections to assure they are reasonably in line?
Dick Seiders

Are the mating surfaces smooth? If so, then I would try some sealant applied sparingly. The sealant should not harden and make future disassembly difficult.
Joe Gores

Perfectly in line, no dents or deformation. I tightened up the clamps some more, will see if that stops it, they were pretty darned tight already. I intend to remove it and look over the inside of the hose carefully.

As Dick mentioned, and out of round condition will be a problem so be careful on the continued tightening. I recall reading in the plans about this caution. The upper tube is pretty thick, but the mating piece is not as stout and I can see where it could be deformed with tightening.

I like the non-harding sealant idea to use in this area.

Fuel tank sealing

Don,

Go to your friendly dentist and borrow a piece on thin rubber dam. Slip it over the neck of the flange, put on the hose and presto! No leaks. :p remove before flight.

Darrel

Apparently the eighth turn with a wrench on the clamps did the trick. One thing for sure, when I install the tank, there WILL be some sealer around that. Dentists down here probably won't give a **** Darrel..