joeboisselle

Well Known Member
I've built my left wing and am starting to piece together the fuel tank for the right wing. The sealing of the left tank was a mess, any ideas on how to apply sealant without both the tank and the work space looking like a three year-old got a hold of my project? :rolleyes: Thanks ~Joe

joeboisselle said:
I've built my left wing and am starting to piece together the fuel tank for the right wing. The sealing of the left tank was a mess, any ideas on how to apply sealant without both the tank and the work space looking like a three year-old got a hold of my project? :rolleyes: Thanks ~Joe

A second pair of hans help.

However, the answer to your question is No!

Peter

Instead of using my feet, I used my hands to assemble it!

:D HA! Just kidding! I hope you found that funny. It was just an initial response that I couldn't control!

...on a serious note, in case you haven't noticed... the stuff sticks to EVERYTHING it comes in contact with. What I have found to be helpful is to limit the stuff it contacts. Put on some classical music, take deep breaths (filled with MEK) and TAKE YOUR TIME!

A fridge goes a long way in keeping the proseal from firming up while you pound the rib into position. This lowers your "gotta hurry up" stress level dramatically!

Hope this helps!

:cool: CJ

Get a roll of butcher paper and lay a sheet of it down on the table. Change the vinyl gloves when things start to get sticky. I used probably 20 pairs sealing one tank. Cut up those blue paper shop towels into little two inch squares to keep things wiped off with. Just wet a little two inch piece with thinner and throw it away before it gets in your ears and every other orifice and crevice of your body. The big farm animal syringes from Tractor Supply work pretty good as applicators. I got most of the tips from GBI's wing construction video and it went pretty smooth. I bought a package of different shaped paint applicators in the arts and craft department at Walmart to use as Proseal spreaders instead of wooden popsicle sticks. The whole package was only 2 or 3 bucks and they are reusable. I cut a notch in the end of one so it would clear the shop head of the rivet and that made a nice bead on the rib covering the shop heads. The 2 inch square paper towels are probably the best tip of the bunch. Good Luck. :)

Joe,

Sorry, there is no way to apply this stuff without making a mess. You just have to learn to clean-up your messes.

Cheers,
Tracy.

Well, I am awestruck by the properties of fuel tank sealant. It's amazing that someone was able to come up with a substance that is able to stick to anything and everything :)
One question, though. Why is it that the "little dab" you mix up isn't quite enough to get to the end of the part you're trying to install, yet has the amazing ability spread itself around the workshop for a 30 foot radius????
I don't know if there is a "neat" way to put a tank together, but lots of latex gloves, paper towels, and solvent seem to help.

proseal method

I use 3 pair of gloves one over the other. Mix enough for 2 ribs in a cup or on a plastic mixing board. Put your mixed proseal in a ziplock bag. and cut the corner of the bag. Remove 1 pair of gloves. squeeze your proseal slowly so you don't pop your bag. Apply a good bead over the rivet line and insert the rib. Rivet in place and apply a bead on the back of the rivets. Remove 2nd pair of gloves. Clean up with acetone. This minimizes the contamination of proseal from each step but no matter what you do it's the worst mess you'll make.

Philip Mercier RV-4
Abbotsford BC
http://members.toast.net/pmercier/project2/index.html