WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I have noticed that instructions recommend using fuel tank sealant in other areas than in the fuel tank. As I intend to use the prebuilt tank option, I am trying to find an equivalent product locally. Can those who have used this sealant tell me what it is and what would be a good substitute?

It is not called Pro Seal any longer I think it is called Flamemaster or such. I just ordered a quart from Vans, check their accessory catalog. I did notice they sell it in some very small quantities, may suit you well.
I was not ready to build my tank just yet, but you need some to put the top piece on the lower firewall, so will probably go ahead and do the tank and get it out of the way.

It is not called Pro Seal any longer I think it is called Flamemaster or such. I just ordered a quart from Vans, check their accessory catalog. I did notice they sell it in some very small quantities, may suit you well.
I was not ready to build my tank just yet, but you need some to put the top piece on the lower firewall, so will probably go ahead and do the tank and get it out of the way.

Thanks Don, I know that I could order it from VANs but I was looking for a faster local source. I might be able to find some Pro Seal here. I will ask fellows EAAers.
I heard/read so many complaints about the fuel tank sealing problems with the sight window that I decided that the $400 extra were worth the aggravation. Now, after all the hullabaloo you tell me that you will build the fuel tank because you have some Pro Seal left? :cool: :D

Well, I always say when it gets too tough for everyone else, it is just about right for me. I would feel cheated if I did not master the fuel tank build, look upon it as a challenge to meet and overcome. Don't forget, there is no assurance the one you buy complete won't leak, I would just as soon trust my own skills and dilligence in building one.

Don't forget, there is no assurance the one you buy complete won't leak, I would just as soon trust my own skills and dilligence in building one.

I be darned! A local fellow RV-12 builder told me exactly that, almost word to word! Now I have second thoughts... Not too late as I am a couple of weeks from ordering the finishing kit... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Small quantities of fuel sealant

The small quantity of fuel tank sealant that I purchased from Vans came in a mixing tube. The whole amount gets mixed at once. You only have an hour or so to use it up, otherwise it all goes to waste.
Joe

JP...call me any time tomorrow. I can probably give you all the info you need about pro seal, mixing, application hints, and clean up.

Tom may have a number of the small sized mixing tube types in Siler City if you are desperate, otherwise you are better off ordering from Aircraft Spruce.
...noel...

Pro seal

You can push increments out of Van's tubes without mixing the whole tube.
I have been using a caulking gun for the large tube and a rod for the small one. Mixed small amounts for small jobs such as the pad that holds my rearview mirror on the inside of my car, been there a year now.
Ted

AC-236 B-2

I go some at Aircraft spruce with my last order. Just make sure its in stock first. I think Vans actually list 3 different types on their webstore. (Spruce has a lot more)

Thank you guys

Always helpful... occasionally funny and self deprecating, I like that, helps me keep things in perspective!