BILLH

I'm New Here
I'm in the process of removing the right tank due to a major fuel leak. I've removed all the screws around the perimeter, 18 bolts that go forward through the spar, 3 bolts near the wing root going aft, the fuel lines etc and the bolt at the front inboard attach point. Using a mallet and 2"x4" at the rear edge, the outboard portion of the tank is loose but the inboard portion won't move. It acts like it is still attached to spar but I can't figure out why. Any suggestions?

I don't know about the -8 but the -7 takes 21 bolts IIRC. The inboard-most Z bracket is attached in reverse, the bolts are facing aft.

Bill. I believe you have all the screws out. I just permanently attached my tanks to the wings. Had 7 total z brackets x 3 AN3-3s = 21 plus the external ones for each tank. My guess would be the paint is holding it in place? The Proseal should not be holding it because that was very dry before you attached them (I assume). Dave

Dave, The paint was a problem initially taking the screws out, but now something else is holding the inboard portion of the tank to the spar. A mallet and 2"x4" freed the outer end of the tank; I have moved it out as much as an inch. I can slide thin aluminum as a shim under the rear edges of the tank so screws & paint shouldn't be an issue. I'm the third owner so I don't know if the builder might have inadvertently glued it in place with sealant. I'm reluctant to just get a bigger hammer until I've eliminated other possibilities. I appreciate any help.