Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
When our RV-6A was painted in March, the painter applied labels to each of the four fill ports identifying the type of fuel and quantity. They were nice and white with two rows of black print and the whole label was 1/2" tall. They looked fine. After a short, time after being exposed to the sun, they started turning golden brown. As would any member of the operations team for the Genesis Mission, I knew what was happening. I knew it would continue to get darker but I did't know what to do about it without risking the paint job so I decided just live with it and not bother my wife with the bad news. When we were flying back from St. Louis Tuesday in the rain from the fringe of Tropical Storm Dennis one of them got peeled off so I had to do something. We have a Dymo Letra Tag Personal Labelmaker my wife bought at Target and it seemed to me that the markings from painter came from one of these. My first thought was to replace what we had with a new white plastic label. I ended up going to Target to buy a new tape cartridge since ours contained a paper tape cartridge but I saw that the plastic is for indoor use and they hava a metalic tape for outdoor use. I bought one plastic and one metalic with the obvious recovery strategy. The adhesive residue came off easily with rubbing alcohol and the new metalic tape with a different adhesive and lower profile made a much better looking replacement. So, I followed the "replace'em all" strategy and they look great. If I run into a down side in the future I will let you know.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Re: labeling tanks

Sounds good. Another idea:

I paid a local trophy shop $11/cap to engrave my N number/100LL/quant etc in the cap (i.e. i copied from Dan C :eek:)

Follow up

The metalic tape fuel markers Look as great as they did the first time I installed them. There is no perceptible change with exposure to the sun or high speed.

Bob Axsom