nodgnal51

Does anybody out there have any experience with the various individuals that build fuel tanks. The one I have run across is Evan's Aviation Products in Redding CA. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Do it! Don't do it!!! :confused:

Evans Aviation

I had Evan build my RV-8A tanks with delux fuel caps and flop tubes. Very pleased with them. Of course, the downside was timing on my part: after Evan had built them I then had to comply with the service bulletin!! Ah well, left tank done, right one to go...

Ah yes, one other downside: I want to prime the outside of the tank (as in, the ribs and rear baffle) and since the Z-brackets are already on I have no idea how I'm gonna get primer in there! I'm sure I'll think of something.

I don't know whether Evan will prime if you ask; I don't think I ever asked. I would next time though...

Why?

If you are enquiring about this because you have horror stories about proseal I wouldn't bother. I have done 4 tanks & its really no big deal. Just get yourself into a rythym & it's pretty easy. Seems it's a lot of money that could be spent on other things or even would make a big dent in the uplift for a QB.

hth
Stephen
RV7 N570Z
Finish Kit next week.

I second that response, Stephen.

Just about the time I was getting tired of priming, along came the tanks. Then when the tanks were done, I was sick of prosealing. It really makes a good break in the monotony!

I think Dan said that it is a rite of passage. I agree except, it is more like passing a stone!

ahhhhh, it ain't that bad!

:p CJ

Build them yourself (with a helper). Don't be put off by stories. Learn the skill of handling the goop with aplomb..

You will be able to walk as a "King among men" afterwards...

My only experience with proseal is my -7 rudder trailing edge. Here's what I took away from it.

1) It doesn't stink nearly as bad as people make it out

2) It's MUCH thicker that you might think. It's the consistency of taffy.

3) It is VERY difficult to work with without making a mess.

4) It cleans up very easily with MEK (probably Acetone too...maybe others)

5) if you just resign yourself to making a mess and then cleaning it up later, it is actually quite easy to work with.

When I realized #5, everything went smoothly. I made a mess, clecoed everything together, and cleaned up in 10 minutes with some MEK. Very straightforward and easy. It's getting over the initial glooping it on all over the nice shiny clean metal that was a mental block for me. Once I got by that, it was child's play.

just my $.02 based on extremely limited experience.

I would agree with a lot of what has been said here and will contribute with:

Build them yourself. You get a trophy that you can show off if you do :). It really isn't that bad as long as you don't try to clean the clecos. Don't try to clean off the clecos. It is a worthless procedure while you consume mass amounts of MEK vapor. They'll work just fine all gooped up with proseal (even better). I speak from experience. I'm a sucker for trying every method and seeing what works best.

Tanks

Agreed.........you can make proseal a lot easier to work with if you heat it with a blow dryer or heat gun. Some guys have thinned it with MEK but I don't know whether it affects the quality of the product or the curing time. We also used it to attach our fresh air inlet vents. Just put some proseal on the flanges, tape them on with duct tape (or the new Gorilla tape) before you call it quits for the night. ;)

Let somebody els built it.

Jeff thanks for the thoughts. :) I think I will give Evan a call and see about the priming. I have already fabricated some of the parts. I hope that won't be a problem.

Steve Langdon
[email protected]

Let somebody els built it.

Wow! I am new to VAF and didn't see all the other responses. It seems "do it yourself" out numbers "pay for help" by a fair margin. You guys have me thinking.

I have to admit I am very averse to the mess. Also a bit worried about leaks, and could use the time building something else.

Wish me luck.
Steve Langdon

I'm with you on having Evan's build the tanks. If I gather correctly, the tanks are a couple hundred hours' work. $975/200 is less than 5 bucks an hour. Seems like a good deal to me! I'd do 'em myself but I want this thing flying ASAP and I can use the time on other stuff.

200 hrs? Come on guys. I just got out my builders log to see how much time it took to do the tanks. Remember this was a late '80s kit with NO PREPUNCHED ANYTHING. Looks like I spent about 96 hrs. building 4 tanks. It's not a big deal. Yes, it is messy. But if you are prepared for the mess. it's not that bad. No leaks in any of the four tanks for 13 years so far. N168TX & N202TX.
Mel...DAR

Last edited:
mdredmond said:
I'm with you on having Evan's build the tanks. If I gather correctly, the tanks are a couple hundred hours' work.

The tanks were the single largest project in the wings, in my estimation, but took nowhere near that long for me. I'd have to look at my notes, but I'd guess it to be around 75-100 hours for both tanks. Because of the mess, the fuel tanks are what make the quickbuild wings such a fantastic deal. But I'd say, if you are going slow build, build the tanks yourself as a point of pride if nothing else. If they leak, fix the leak and move on. Good luck and have "fun".

Because of the mess, the fuel tanks are what make the quickbuild wings such a fantastic deal.

Okay, well if the QB wings are a fantastic deal at kit price +$4000, then kit price +$975 seems like an even better deal. You're buying the 'best part' of the quickbuild, but none of the rest.

Even if tanks only take 100 hours, you're paying a guy who's done hundreds of tanks $9.75 an hour. Or rather, you're paying $9.75 for each hour he saves you.

I know there's the whole pride thing. I'll be perfectly proud to build an entire SB kit except for the tanks!

I just didn't want too!

I honestly can't say why I chose not to build the tanks. When I first started the project I just decided I didn't want to. Didn't want the mess, heard all the horror stories about proseal, concerned about leaks, wanted modifications like delux caps and flop tubes, etc, etc. I simply didn't want to do them. Having got as far as I have, and having worked with proseal I don't regret my decision. I'd feel perfectly happy about building them now, but I still wouldn't do it! Don't ask me why: I can't give you a sensible answer. I just wouldn't. I have no problem telling anyone that asks that I decided not to do the tanks. Not interested in pride; its one of those human emotions that causes more trouble than its worth... **** I sound like a bitter old man! Maybe I'll build the tanks on the next RV-8J (the personal jet that I'm just sure Vans must have in development by now ;) )after all!!

I did the fuel tanks myself when I built my RV6A in the early 90's. They came out fine, but I did not enjoy the proseal experience. I had Evan build my 7A tanks and his workmanship is excellent. If I build another RV, I'll have him do my tanks again. I felt he charged a very fair price. For a 70K$ RV project, that turns out to be about 1.4% fo the total expense.

I will need to do some minor prosealing to comply with Van's service bulletin and also to add the new 'dongle' for the Extended Range tanks fuel system.

I built one tank for the experience. Yeh right! :eek:
I decided after my 45 hour ordeal with leaks on tank one, I'd leave it up to a pro(seal) tank builder.
Evans Products built my tanks. He did a terrific job. I was able to compare my handy work vs his work.
Believe me, have Evan build them. My tanks were all gunked up on the inside & outside. When I look inside the tanks he built, there are nice straight beads of proseal throughout. I don't know how he did it. I guess after you build 300, you get the process down.
I figured for about 1K, vs 90 hrs with no leaks, and peace of mind, it was well worth it.
BTW, I filled them for the first time a few weeks ago and they are leak free.