craig.roser

Patron
Has anyone reworked their FLOAT WIRE to REV 1. See SECTION 18 FUEL TANK PAGE 18-10 DATE 03/26/21?

My floats appear to stick on FULL when I fill the tanks and release showing more or less accurate when about half empty.

Attachments

• 18-07 REV 1.pdf
    931.9 KB · Views: 17
Well, I did what they said for bending the float wires on an RV-7. Because of the geometry of the tank and where the float is (at the lower end), the float doesn't start moving down until the tank gets around 15 gallons on a 21 gallon tank. While the tank sizes are different between the 7 and 14, I'm guessing the 14 experiences something similar. I calibrated my fuel tank level indications with the Garmin G3X adding 2 gallons at a time, and it's remarkably accurate--after those first six gallons are burned off from a top off.

Depending on what you're using for a fuel level indication and how it was calibrated, your results may differ. But I would think it should show a reasonably accurate fuel level long before it's half empty. Or half full, depending on your personality type.

Well, I did what they said for bending the float wires on an RV-7. Because of the geometry of the tank and where the float is (at the lower end), the float doesn't start moving down until the tank gets around 15 gallons on a 21 gallon tank. While the tank sizes are different between the 7 and 14, I'm guessing the 14 experiences something similar. I calibrated my fuel tank level indications with the Garmin G3X adding 2 gallons at a time, and it's remarkably accurate--after those first six gallons are burned off from a top off.

Depending on what you're using for a fuel level indication and how it was calibrated, your results may differ. But I would think it should show a reasonably accurate fuel level long before it's half empty. Or half full, depending on your personality type.
My plane was built before REV 1 . . . .

Similar to the RV-9A, I won’t get the start of reading from the sensor until about 12-13 gallons. As has been stated, it’s a function of the wing geometry. You can get accuracy from a capacitive sensor and some approximation from the totalizer function.

Has anyone reworked their FLOAT WIRE to REV 1. See SECTION 18 FUEL TANK PAGE 18-10 DATE 03/26/21?

My floats appear to stick on FULL when I fill the tanks and release showing more or less accurate when about half empty.
Mine start getting a reading at 21 gals. on my 14A. Have been calibrated and perform well. Built to plans circa 2018.